Old July 4th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

Default Is this feeding method safe?

On Jul 3, 1:19 pm, "
wrote:
My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.

I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)

Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
the rims too dull to matter?

- John

I think it's a valid concern. It's not that hard to dump it in a dish,
why doesn't she
do that? I'd rather see people use paper plates than let the cat eat
out of can.
SAfety issues aside, Cats *hate* to eat that way. They don't even like
deep dishes. They prefer a wide
shallow bowl.

Sherry