Old October 16th 10, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Somewhat OT - spiders

Christina Websell wrote:

I am proud to announce that I decided to gird my loins and evict her this
morning.
I'm a wuss about big hairy spiders, it makes no difference at all that I
know they cannot harm me, for some reason they give me the horrors. I know
it is not logical.

But it's also not at all uncommon. There are just some animals that give
many people the shivers - spiders, snakes, rats and other creepy-crawlies.
I think we probably evolved the capacity to be creeped out by these
creatures, but it seems we need some life experiences (or teaching) to
activate it.

I am also creeped out by spiders and many insects, but if I'm not
surprised by them, it's less upsetting. Seeing a bug outdoors is less
creepy than inside. Seeing a spider on the ceiling doesn't bother me
as much as one crawling on the bathroom floor while I'm on the toilet
(a true story! ).

I really like snakes and don't have an irrational fear of them at all.
But I do have a *rational* fear of a strange snake encountered on a path
(or pretty much anywhere), until I can determine that it's not venomous.

Anyway, no spiders were harmed in the process and it's done. She ran when I
moved the spice jars and hid and I thought, no, I have to find you and I
did. She curled up in fright when she knew she was discovered but I scooped
her up carefully with a wooden spoon and put her outside the window. She'll
just have to find another house to be a house spider in.
If you all knew how difficult it was for me to do that, you'd be proud of me
too.

I am! I really like your motto "It's not the spider's fault that I can't
stand it", and I applaud your willingness to treat it humanely despite
your revulsion.

Joyce

--
Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will