Old January 18th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Best Method for Declawing a Cat?

"eDog" wrote

If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

No.

Don't declaw. All methods are the same--amputation of the last joint
of the fingers. I had this done to my first cat, and she became a biter,
and stopped covering her poop in the cat box. It deforms their feet
and it is not necessary. I have two cats now, keep their claws trimmed,
and have no damage at all. Perfect "one-two" strategy: trim claws and
get stuff they like to scratch more than the sofa. Tall posts (32 inches or
better) and an Alpine Scratcher work for us.