Old August 7th 05, 06:25 PM
Calvin Rice

Default 3 kittens born - help

This is about the cat in the threads, 'fearful mother-to-be'
and 'is cat really pregnant'.

I just checked on the cat and there were three black kittens,
with the mother in the place I had prepared for them in the
closet. The kittens were groping around squealing and the
mother was in her usual upright position down on all fours.
That is the position the mother had always been getting into
whenever I came in the room, so she may have been nursing the
kittens just before I went in.

But still it is alarming. Is it possible that the cat would
refuse to nurse the kittens because she doesn't like the
environment? And what should I do then? I would have thought
that the cat would be nursing the kittens no matter what.

Maybe I interrupted the birth process and there are more kittens
to come, so I will stay out of the room for a while, hoping not
to cause any more alarm. One thing I found from my recent
videotaping is that the mother quickly understands that I have
left the room, and then gets up to inspect what food I might have
left. So if she had left off nursing the kittens because I came
in the room, then I feel good about the chances that she went
right back to it.

I wasn't expecting to panic like this, but I must not do some
ignorant thing that will lose any of these precious kittens.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

-cr