Old September 3rd 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

Default old cat with carpet

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:59:26 +1000, Petzl wrote:

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:57:31 -0700 (PDT), Robin
wrote:

On Sep 2, 1:39*am, Petzl wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:28:23 -0700 (PDT), Robin
wrote:

Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Don't worry about it

While many pluses with carpet, negatives are hygiene, they harbor bugs
bacteria & smells

With carpet (regardless of pets) you need to get them cleaned by
carpet cleaners (6 monthly?) who will deodorize and steam clean
carpets.

dry clean versions of carpet cleaning available. *

I personally prefer steam cleaning

Your local paper should be full of businesses that do this at very
competitive rates

The one I use uses water as fast as tap delivers it heats it up with
soap/detergent(?) and pumps sudsy water down drain/sewer leaving
carpet dry and ready

If pet/cat has accident you need paper towels then finish with mop and
water (disinfectant added, I use "wool wash with Eucalyptus")

Petzl
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

thank you very much for your sensible advice. I will be purchasing a
good vacuum like you describe.

The "Vacuums" are truck mounted.
These services are offered by professional cleaners
check local paper
In Sydney Australia they are not expensive (AU$40)

Although your own vacuum will also be needed
Petzl

Just to make things clearer here is a Sydney wide company that offers
this service
http://www.targetcarpetcleaning.com.au/

But shop around locals offer much better pricing
Petzl