Old November 5th 04, 08:55 AM
Peter Kim

Default Litter problems

My male 15 year old cat has had a difficult year. Besides losing his two
littermates, he was diagnosed with a rare nocardia infection on his
front leg that we were treating with antibiotics and an Elizabethan
collar for approximately 6 months. Toward the end of that time, he
developed diarrhea that he would often get on his collar.

Approximately 6 weeks ago he had an accident with the collar and the
open wound that resulted in his front leg being amputated. Besides
undergoing treatment for diarrhea, which is slowly improving, he has
recovered nicely and looks and acts healthier than he has in a very long
time.

However, he is having problems with the litter box. He keeps putting his
hind legs into the matter that he puts in the litter box and then
shaking his legs off, scattering kitty waste all over the bathroom. We
have purchased a puppy litter box for him so that he can get in and out
of the litter box more easily, but that has not changed his habits.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem, or any
suggestions for what we can do besides clean the cat's paws and mop the
house one or more times a day?

Thanks!