Old August 18th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Brooklyn1

Default Fences - Cats - DIY?

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:21:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
.. .
dgk wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

What good is a "happy" cat flattened with tire tread impressions...
cats are happy indoors... you're an imbecile.

Yes. I saw a bumper sticker online that said, "I'd rather be inside and fat
than outside and flat."

I am sure that my momma cat was probably outside at some point in her life.
She and her babies were found in an abandoned house and they had to get food
from somewhere. But now she never tries to get out. Never. She is
perfectly happy as a house cat.

Now the baby? Well she isn't actually a baby any more since she is over a
year old but... She is the one they named that phrase after about how
curiosity killed the cat. She is very interested in the garage for some
reason. I don't want her out there because there are all sorts of little
hidey holes and some are up high. She can jump up high. We did once have a
rat get in there during the winter and it died somewhere in the wall. Would
be horrible if she were to suffer the same fate. So I will walk her out
there in my arms and show her around. Nothing of interest to her, I
wouldn't think. Just some canned goods, soda pop, Christmas lights, a few
tools... But one day she came very close to getting to the outside!
Apparently I did not shut the door from the laundry room fully and she
pushed it open. She was walking very slowly and cautiously towards the
opening of the garage. Mom was in the laundry room looking very worried and
calling to her. Luckily I was able to pick her up and bring her back
inside.

Domestic cats live happily indoors, they do fine with a window but
mostly they need cat companionship so always have at least two,
preferably from the same litter. Contrary to what many believe cats
are not loners, they are very social, moreso then dogs. Cats live a
shortened life outdoors, they are more likely to become road kill than
wild animals as domestic cats don't possess nearly the same level of
survival skills. Feral cats have excellent survival skills outdoors
but they don't live long due to poor diet and disease. There are many
types of outdoor cat enclosures but none protect against deadly
parasites and poisonings (cats will catch and eat insects that contain
insectide), and outdoor animals of all kinds are very susceptible to
overspray from thoughtless gardeners, you won't know until it's too
late. I can go on but bottom line is giving a cat a good home means
keeping it indoors. The pinheads who put cats outdoors are simply too
lazy and cheap to deal with cat litter, with the low IQ rationalizing
about cats are happier outdoors, BULL****, the morons are happier with
cats outdoors because the cheap lazy *******s don't need to buy and
deal with cat litter. Cats are very happy indoors, even in a small
apartment, again all they need is a window and a playmate. Many of my
neighbors let their cats out, invaribly I'll see them flattened on the
road. My cats never go out... however I do have a feral cat living in
my barn, can't get close enough to know if Newt is a boy or a girl, I
bring it food and water every day and eventually plan on capturing and
bringing it to a Vet. This is Newt heading back home to his barn a
few minutes ago for breakfast, Newt runs off when I approach to put
out food, photographed at 600', a very good looking cat:
http://i48.tinypic.com/nwzmf9.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/o074ub.jpg
Earlier this morning, the twins:
http://i46.tinypic.com/zmqf4.jpg