Old August 23rd 03, 11:10 AM
MaryL

"Annie Benson-Lennaman" wrote in
message ...

On the other side of the glass, there
was a fluffy gray kitten! It was tiny... less than 3 weeks old I would
guess.

With
some effort, we cornered the spitting hissing thing, and threw a coat
over it. Into the cat carrier it went! But... the kitten was in bad,
bad shape. It was thin and bony, like it hadn't eaten in a week, it had
a hole in it's lip ... and it was having a hard time breathing. Off the
the vet's!

The vet said it was about 4 to 6 six weeks old, and it only weighed 1
pound 1 ounce. That was way underweight. We could feel every bone in
its spine, every rib in its chest. The mom cat had abandoned it quite a
while ago, he believed.

She attacked the syringe when we fed her. She was starving. And after
we gave her two meals worth, she started to purr. It took us less than
two hours, from capture to feeding, to fully socialize her.

And what a chance! She soon was at her normal weight for her suspected
age. And playful as all kittens ought to be. But she was still sick.

She is growing normally now, and is clear eyed and playful, and
seems to be very happy with her new life. She's poking the back of my
legs right now with her little claws of terror, and batting a bottle cap
from a 2 liter soda bottle around our hardwood floor. She's almost
impossibly cute.

--
Annie

What a wonderful story, and how lucky that little kitty is to have found
you. Messages like this show that there really are loving people in this
world who will go to exceptional lengths to help our furry friends. Thank
you!

MaryL