Old July 12th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ticked off, but should I be? (OT)

hopitus wrote:

Since you asked....yes, I believe you have a perfect right to be
annoyed by the
behavior of your mother's longtime tax preparer (whatever her
qualifications are)
but have no advice re dealing with IRS re the issues she caused with
them, or
those your mother caused with them.
As previously stated, people in my family do not live long enough to -
as the
saying goes - be a problem to their family. Unless you enjoy traveling
to and
from this military island in SC, if I were in your shoes your mother
wiould be
brought to *your* choice of living area so she will not be the prey of
locals there.

Actually, she's not on a military island I wouldn't be concerned if she
was. She and Dad built a house on one of the islands near where he retired,
21 years ago. I've got no room in my apartment for her back home. She
doesn't need to be in a nursing home. And I can't see having her move into
1 bedroom with a shared guest bath in my brother's house. He travels a lot
but even when he doesn't he works about 60 hours a week. She might as well
be by herself here rather than move into that scenario.

It's no skin off my nose to be here taking care of her. Got nothing better
to do since I haven't had any luck finding a job back there.

like the one you describe here. In my home state there are infinite
numbers of
vultures like this taking advantage of old people left alone by fate
and their only
younger survivors live far, far away, unable or unwilling to make the
trips like
you have, over and over, to rescue the elders from those who prey on
them
financially.....I realize you are tired of me saying this, but frankly
I can't see things
getting any better from your description of happenings regarding her.

That's why I'm planning to stay here. I have to work out the logistics, but
that's what's going to happen. She's turned over all the financial stuff to
me; I make sure her bills are paid. I make sure she eats. I make sure she
takes her prescriptions. I cook, I clean, I do the laundry and the shopping
and keep her company. I'm her caregiver and I have no problem with that.

What I'm going to do with this particular situation is (1) photocopy and
mail the 2006 return with the cancelled check and (2) find a reputable,
qualified tax firm to deal with the 2007 stuff. So far, the IRS hasn't
mentioned 2007 so maybe this woman did file for an extension. But it's been
my experience, even if she didn't, the IRS is generally a year behind
anyway. LOL

To add insult to injury, a big storm blew through last evening and the power
flashed off and on, briefly, twice. The circuit breaker for part of the
master bathroom blew and I can't get it to reset; it keeps tripping. Now I
have to find an electrician. sigh When it rains, it pours!

Jill