Old July 21st 17, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Losing Fur

On 7/21/2017 5:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Well, Kerry's back from the vet, and it doesn't appear to be serious.
the way in which the fur is missing (some hairs left behind) makes the
vet think Kerry's licking and pulling at it, and it's not some kind of
endocrine disorder or other physical ailment, which would cause all the
hairs to fall out.

So it might be (a) fleas or mites or (b) stress. (a) seems quite
unlikely, since they're both indoor cats, but it's not entirely
impossible, so she suggested treating them for that, which has been
done. The other two suggestions were Feliway and a calming food. I
decided to try the Feliway but not, at least for now, the food. If
nothing else helps, Kerry can be given medication, but the vet suggested
a more conservative approach to start with.

It's helpful when the vet doesn't immediately insist on expensive
treatment and costly food.

I'm relieved it's not more serious. I was a bit shocked at the costs
involved - I can afford it, but I don't know how many people do since
lots of people have less income than I do. I'm not at all sure what
Kerry might have to be stressed about - she doesn't get on with
Cinnamon, but they've been in the house just over a year. And if one of
those two was getting stressed, I'd have said it would be Cinnamon, who
spends most of her time, with a full coat of fur, snoozing in the
bedroom and looking remarkably un-stressed.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. The vet also picked up a bit of coughing
or noisy breathing that Kerry has. Kerry had just recovered from cat flu
when I adopted her, and I thought it was just the remnants of a
lingering cough she had, which has slowly become less and less frequent
or noticeable. The vet said it could be that, but bring her back if it
got worse, because cats can also get asthma or allergies.

Yes, I'd keep an eye on that but otherwise it sounds like the bit of fur
loss is nothing serious. Fingers still crossed!

Jill