Old February 19th 04, 03:10 PM
Sherry

I just got a six month old cat a few days ago. I also have a parakeet. I know
that my cat is still considerd a kitten but how should I go about teaching my
cat that the bird is not going anyware and that it's not okay to stare at him
all the time? My cat is not agressive, but has a strong hunting instinct,
what should I do?!?
Thanks,
Katherine

Katherine, you're going to have to be very careful. I had an eight-year-old
parakeet come to a very bad end by a cat who rarely ever showed interest in the
bird...Be sure the cage is high enough the cat can't reach it, or knock the
stand over. I'd suspend it from the ceiling in an area where the cat can't
climb on anything to reach it. Close the door to the bird's room any time
you're away. It's just such a natural part of being a cat, you can't teach him
to leave it alone. You just have to protect the bird. Good luck! Parakeets are
sweet, personable little birds. I loved mine, but I'll never get another as
long as I have cats.
Sherry