Old July 10th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Rabies Shots

On Jul 9, 2:49*pm, Victor Martinez wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:27*am, wrote:

There are legal requirements for annual rabies vaccinations in a lot of
jurisdictions. *The vet might simply be unwilling to discuss a longer interval,
even for a feral.

Like I said, find another vet. Annual vaccinations are required in
Texas, but like my TED said: "I'm not in the law enforcement
business".

Victor

I'm with your vet.
Bottom line, the animal is protected, even if not "legally." The only
risk is if your cat/dog bites someone, they'll have to go into
quarantine for a while. IRRC in this state it's 10 days. Some people
(mostly the older ranchers w/dogs and barn cats) buy the vaccinatin,
and administer it themselves. Same deal, the law doesn't recognize
that the cat is protected.
The risk that any of my cats would bite someone is practically nil.
There aren't
any children in the extended family anymore, and if we do have company
the cats
run and hide anyway.
City tags aren't an issue for us, since we aren't in city limits.

Sherry