Old February 21st 04, 09:39 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Amy" wrote in message
news
I've recently switched my cats from free to fixed feeding. They really
don't like it and I'm tempted to switch them back. Is fixed feeding really
all that beneficial?

I think it depends on the cat. When I only had Tiger, she had dry food
available all the time and it was fine. Then I got Otto, and I also left
food out all the time. Otto ended up being a little pig, and he would eat
as much as possible. He ended up gaining a lot of weight and puking a lot.
He would also play hockey with the dry food, and I'd find it all over the
place. Now I give them wet food in the morning and a little dry after
they've eaten most/all of the wet. Same thing in the evening. If I still
only had Tiger, I would continue to give her as much as she wanted.

At work I also have two cats. If we free fed them, Stinky would overeat.
Stinky's bowl is downstairs in my basement office. Harriet's bowl is
upstairs, and she eats so slowly she's pretty much free fed, since there's
always food in her bowl. Stinky won't go upstairs during the day, so it's
safe to leave food in Harriet's bowl. Once everyone leaves at night, I'm
sure Stinky does go up there to check out Harriet's bowl, but by that time a
lot of it is gone so I don't worry about it too much.

Liz