Old October 4th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

Default Where is everybody?

On 10/3/2018 6:46 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 10/3/2018 9:01 PM, joy wrote:
On 10/3/2018 5:47 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 10/3/2018 7:28 PM, joy wrote:
On 10/3/2018 4:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 10/3/2018 6:57 PM, joy wrote:
I haven't seen any posts here for a couple of days.

I'm around. Â* I don't read the group (or even email) every day of
the week.Â* I was just about to post something to the group, which I
will do now.

I'm glad to see a few more posters than usual lately.

Jill

I forget everybody doesn't spend as much time checking as I do.
Since I'm retired, I check several times a day.

Yes, it's nice that there have been a few more lately.Â* I guess
that's what made me notice the absence of posts.

Hopefully the ones who left for FB or whatever else will notice some
increased posts and come back.Â* I'm not much interested in other
social media.Â* Me, I never left.Â* It did dwindle down to next to
nothing for a bit.Â* But a few folks are coming back.Â* I'm all for
talking about our cats!Â* Our love of cats.Â* And we are all old
friends.

Jill

I never left here either.Â* As you say, it does get quiet at times, but
there are still several of us who love talking about our cats.

Most youngsters using FB or other social media have never heard of
Usenet.Â* They have no idea it was the first platform for "social media".
Â*We created emoticons (now known as Imogies) using ASCII text and then
when GUI interfaces came along, actual images. Â* Oh boy!

I'm still around.Â* Not needing or wanting a phone to control my washing
machine from my car.

I really just want to talk about our cats.

Jill

I know what you mean. I have a cell phone, but it's for emergencies,
long distance and now, reluctantly, occasional texting. Because I use
it so seldom, I have the Go Phone plan, which costs $15 a month or, if
you pay by the year, $100 a year. From that, 10 cents a minute is
deducted for calls, and 20 cents is deducted for each text. Any balance
at the end of the year rolls over to the next year. I've never even
come close to a zero balance. It's cheaper to use for long distance
than my land line.

I still like newsgroups like this best for keeping in touch with people.
I've made a lot of friends through newsgroups, many of whom I've met
personally. In fact, one newsgroup friend, who was living in Reno when
i "met" her, now lives in the same city I do, and I see her once a month.

I also met and spent time with various newsgroup friends on my trips to
Australia. Remember Flippy and Yowie? I've met them both. I met all
three of the Daves, too.

Okay, that wasn't about cats, but it was about newsgroups and the people
who post on them. This newsgroup is still the best way to talk about
our cats.

Joy