Old March 19th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Adrian re Wanadoo

Christina Websell wrote:
You were quite right. Here I was thinking that if Wanadoo (my ISP)
were going to stop their newsfeed they would at least have the grace
to let me know.
I read news almost exclusively on news individual net, but have the
wan/server as a backup.
I thought I'd better check today. Clicked on rpca on the Wanadoo
server and got "server cannot be found." Phoned wan/helpline and was
instructed to send a complaint mail, which I did. I asked the
helpline if it was true that Wanadoo were dropping their news service
and the person said absolutely not but there were a huge number of
calls coming in about non-access to usenet and ngs.

I got a mail back after a couple of hours saying they were no longer
providing a news service after 17/3/06 and recommended a couple of
newsreaders - I think giganews was one.

I am now looking around for a new ISP. They didn't even tell me!!
What if I hadn't got n.i.n.? Suddenly, with no explanation, I would
have found no newsgroups available without knowing why, and I only
knew anyway because you mentioned it. Thank you.
Pffff. They don't deserve my custom and when I unsubscribe I shall
tell them why.

Tweed
(annoyed, can you tell? ;-) )

I don't blame you, trouble is most big companies seem to act the same way.
I've heard rumours Tiscali are planning to follow suit, I expect their
customers will be the last to know as well. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.