Old September 19th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Questions about FeLV/FIV (was Pics of the vicious biting kitten!!!!)

wrote:

I do, too, Tak. I would not trust the feleuk test either. I've seen a
lot of false positives. And a young cat can throw the disease, too. I
hope she is restested and it turns out okay. If not, I hope she can
find an owner. It's very possible for her to have a good life if she
has good care, I truly believe that.

That's interesting, I didn't know it was possible to be completely
cured of FeLV.

FIV is somewhat different, as it's not nearly as contagious. I understand
that you can easily have FIV+ and FIV- cats under the same roof, as long
as there's no violent fighting. If the positive cat bites a negative cat,
that could spread it. And I suppose it's sexually transmitted, too, but
neutering would take care of that. Unlike with FeLV, FIV cats can share
dishes, grooming, and sleeping places with non-FIV cats and all are safe.

Joyce