Old September 4th 13, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Coat matting

buglady wrote:
On 9/4/2013 12:30 PM, reilloc wrote:

Regarding training this cat, I love this cat and he loves me--as
much as he's able to love anything. He's been this skittish since
birth while the others in his litter weren't. I contend it's a
personality quirk and that's just the way he is. I don't really know
that I'd want him any other way.

...........Yeah, but think about what it would be like to live life so
afraid. I had a live in the house feral. She made it til about 18
yrs. It wasn't until her last days that I could actually pick her
up. Before that just reaching over her would cause her eyes to widen,
she'd freeze, then run off. I felt really bad for her having to live
like that. At the end of her life I started to wonder if she had poor
eyesight her whole life, which made her so skittish.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

We've had a few cats that started out like that, but my wife cures them by
picking them up every chance she gets. She won't let them get away with
being fed without putting in some, "love time". Pretty soon they learn to
put up with it. (They may never actually like it, but they learn to put up
with it)