Old March 27th 10, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Rob's Memorial Service

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
Jerry of the 101st AVN retirees wants to arrange for the Patriot Guard
Riders as escort for the memorial. Robert would have appreciated this. He
respected and applauded the Patriot Guard Riders and all they did. We know
that his memorial service will be at 1:00 pm (13:00) on April 9 at the
Main Post chapel with Chaplain Lorenzen officiating. His ashes will be
interned at 2:00 pm (14:00) at the Sandhills State Veterans Cemetery.
Flowers and other memorials may be delivered to the cemetery between 1:30
and 2:00 pm of that day. The address is 400 Murchinsen Rd, Spring Lake,
NC 28390. They must stand at attention and salute when appropriate
(sorry but this is so regimented that I'm finding it all funny.) People
may remember Rob as SPC or SGT Robert G. Shirk. He was a Blackhawk guy
all the way although he loved anything to do with flight. He called army
aviation "the world's greatest roller coaster ride, and I get paid too."
Rob was known for his puckish sense of humor, although he became much more
serious after the Gulf War. He said that he saw more than enough misery
to go around.

Rob served with:

4/101st AVN Battalion (or was it Brigade?) Ft Campbell, KY 1984-5

4/7 CAV at Camp Stanley, Korea 1985-6

4/101st AVN Battalion (or was it Brigade?) 1986-1990

326 Medical Company Landsthul, Germany 1990-1992

He was in Desert Shield/Storm, November 1990-April 1991

4/3 Armored CAV Ft Bliss, TX 1992-1995

US Army Recruiting Station, Sacramento CA 1995-1996

1-52nd AVN (White Horse) Seoul Army Air Base, Seoul S. Korea 1996-1997

2nd Support Center, Ft Bragg, NC1997-1999

1-52nd AVN (White Horse) Seoul Army Air Base, Seoul S. Korea1999-2000

57th Medical Co, Ft Bragg, NC 2001-2003

Rob was medically retired in 2003 with Brain cancer attributed to exposure
to Sarin and Cyclo-Sarin gases during Desert Storm. During that same
rescue mission Robert was also exposed to the smoke from oil well fires
started on orders from Saddam Hussein and his minions. Don't tell me that
Sadist Hussein had no weapons of self destruction.

Rob had the funniest personality of anyone I ever met and could tell a
great story. He loved to relax, read, talk, play various games (I still
remember Skip-Bo across America), beat me at cribbage, play RPGs (role
playing games), be dragged to museums and other places he declared that he
wouldn't enjoy, and spend time with his family and friends. Animals loved
him and he loved them in return. He liked hanging out with his kitty
buddies and loving on them.

We don't have a restaurant yet for an after cemetery get together, but we
hope to meet at Chili's as it was one of his favorite places. I'll let
you know if/when we get one. I seriously think it is against the law for
us to do anything without something seriously strange and/or funny
happening.

I miss him so much.

Pam Shirk

Pam I am so sorry. I wish I could say something that will make it alright
through the tears I am pouring out. Rob and your family touched me in a
special way when we met. Even though we only spent a small amount of time
together. I thought of you all as family. I always will and have had you
all in my prayers

I read this and thought of you all. It is for Fallen soldiers

Dear my fallen soldier
I hoped you would come home
But when the men came up to my door
I knew I'd be alone