Old February 8th 14, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default How does pet insurance work?

"Sylvia M" wrote in message

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I checked into pet insurance a decade ago simply because I was
curious.

Our local rugby team used to have a signboard over their ground
saying their sponsor was a pet insurance firm. That told me all
I needed to know about how much profit they were making.

The most expensive thing we've had with our cats was surgery for
Courtney's broken hip - probably about the same as what Tweed's
incurred, and we're much less well off. Marion sometimes called
her "Holiday" after that because it meant no holiday that year.

Using a credit card and an overdraft instead of pet insurance
must have worked out a lot cheaper, though we never calculated
the exact figures.

I may be gullible, but I bought into pet insurance when I adopted
Pit2nya. I recall that it was one of the conditions that the Rescue
Group set forward. It helped once with dental work. I had to pay
up front and send the forms in.
If she ever got diabetes or something else that was serious it would
pay for the years I have 'donated' payments, rather than a great deal
at one time.

Sylvia M

I always thought that people got pet insurance because they knew they
couldn't afford a huge bill up front. I was very lucky to find the money to
get Boyfie home.
I wonder what would have happened to him if I'd said yes and it was no. I
doubt they would have put him down after saving him. So always say yes to
the vet, you will find the money somehow.
Tweed