Old November 10th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default More INFO: dementia in cats

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
When I had the trouble of KFC trying to escape all the time I asked
the vet if he thought she had dementia. He said not. He said that
cats do not get dementia (as we know it) and it was more likely that
she had some sort of infection that caused her to display these
symptoms. Sure enough, with a long-acting antibiotic injection she
was cured from her wandering.
Tweed

I'm not discounting medical issues, Christina, nor am I suggesting he
shouldn't take Ishtar to the vet. I'm simply pointing out there certainly
IS something called CDS. My dog Sampson was diagnosed with what they
called "doggy dementia" back in the 1990's. He was 16 years old at the
time. And medication definitely helped him. He didn't have a thyroid
condition. He was just old and easily confused. At times he didn't even
know who I was so he'd snap at me thinking I was a stranger. He never did
like strangers

I'm very glad KFC isn't suffering from dementia but that doesn't mean
Jack's cat isn't. He needs to take her to a vet and ask specific
questions. Cats definitely do get dimentia.

The "C" in CDS stands for canine. My vet says cats do not get dementia "as
we know it in humans" but that loss of faculties through old age or an
infection that causes a raised temperature can cause them to become confused
which mimics the symptoms of what we think of as dementia.

Did you know that elderly people who get constipated can become confused
through the toxins that are released into the blood? I didn't either, until
I learnt it through my job. I did elderly/childcare work 1989- 2003 when I
switched to childcare only. I hardly believed it myself, but it's true.
Relieve the constipation and the confusion is gone. It's amazing.

There are a lot more reasons for confusion than the easy diagnosis of
dementia.

Tweed