Old September 21st 05, 06:17 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article .com,
" wrote:

Lots42 wrote:
Karen wrote:
On 2005-09-20 06:34:29 -0500, "Lots42" said:

How do we stop this? Closing the door to the cage room is
impractical.

Using a spray bottle is usless and just makes for a wet cat.

Make the cage more inaccessible?

I'm open to suggestions

This is a tough one and it's been a while since I have done the
cat-bird problem. In rare extreme situations, I will pick up a cat by
the scruff of the neck and stare and/or shout at the cat and let her
know that her rights have been suspended in that situation. One fellow,
in regards to another situation not with birds, used to get down on all
fours and act as the cat would to another cat for warning, to let her
know what she was doing was a big no-no. But he was more strange than I

Sometimes a cat is too big to pick up by the neck [like, oops, as a
mommy cat does] but you have to get through to the cat that this is a
big time no-no. You might want to try some other groups where there are
more behaviorists. Generally it's not an easy solution with certain
cats and can be quite problematic since cats harbor certain germs which
are lethal to birds, like Pasturella multocida and others. A light bite
and possibly fatal unless the bird gets antibiotics almost immediately.

I must share a family story of the tables being somewhat turned. My MIL
had taken in an injured raven. By all accounts, Sparkle, the feline
member of the family, simply wanted to investigate.

The raven swept its uninjured wing and lobbed a surprise cat across the
room.