Old July 26th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Heat Pump and A/C (was: Abelard = 6.6 lbs.)

"Wayne Mitchell" wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote:

Students that come for work experience from places like Canada and
Northern
America always complain they're very cold in winter - thats because
our
houses don't usually come with built-in heating or insulation, and
usually
cheap rental accomodation has no heat (besides the stove top) at
all. In
cheap rental accomodation, if its 10C outside, it will probably be
close to
10C on the inside, too.

I can relate to the students' situation. I was raised here in
Maine --
well north in the US and considered by most folks a cold place to be
in
winter. But the coldest I've ever been for any length of time was
when
I was a student in Monterey, California -- an area that doesn't have
any
real winter (and unfortunately also doesn't have any real summer).
Not
having any winter to worry about, student accommodation was not
heated
very well; and the typical daytime temperature for eleven months out
of
the year is 55 degrees F (13C). So daytime indoor temperature
generally
ranged from 50F in the morning to 60F in the afternoon -- and we
here in
the cold north consider that downright frigid.
--

Wayne M.

Not to mention their famous 'marine layer' that makes sure you are
always damp as well as cold.

At least real cold like you get in Maine tends to dry the air out.

Jo