Old July 24th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Losing Fur

On 2017-07-21 7:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/21/2017 5:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Well, Kerry's back from the vet, and it doesn't appear to be serious.
the way in which the fur is missing (some hairs left behind) makes the
vet think Kerry's licking and pulling at it, and it's not some kind of
endocrine disorder or other physical ailment, which would cause all the
hairs to fall out.

So it might be (a) fleas or mites or (b) stress. (a) seems quite
unlikely, since they're both indoor cats, but it's not entirely
impossible, so she suggested treating them for that, which has been
done. The other two suggestions were Feliway and a calming food. I
decided to try the Feliway but not, at least for now, the food. If
nothing else helps, Kerry can be given medication, but the vet suggested
a more conservative approach to start with.

It's helpful when the vet doesn't immediately insist on expensive
treatment and costly food.

The "calming" food I didn't buy was incredibly expensive! More than
twice what i normally spend, and I don't buy bottom-of-the-market food!

I don't buy el cheapo cat food, either. But I paid a lot of money for
prescription food for Persia (RB 2014) and I'm not sure it was worth
paying more for.

Yes, I'd keep an eye on that but otherwise it sounds like the bit of fur
loss is nothing serious. Fingers still crossed!

I'm relived that the vet thinks it's not a physical problem.

Thankfully not!

Jill