Old November 3rd 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

Default Questionz

I find that interesting and I just guess you had to be there, why were there
flame wars? was it an issue as to splitting in the first place or was it an
issue as to how to split? soft
Cory wrote in message
g...
In article ,
says...
I have been so impressed by the quality of writing that happens in our
events, especially the Jellical Ball and wedwinks...the narratives have

been
so meaningful, and I have been remiss in not saying so quite often. At

this
Jellical Ball, I even cut-and-pasted much of it, to read from time to

time.

I would be very happy and contented to see the traditions of rpcc

continue
without any change at all,

This is NOT meant to come across as a flame or a criticism, so if it
does, I truly, truly apologize.

There isn't any way possible for RPCC to continue its traditions without
any change at all. Kitties come and go now, for whatever reason, on an
almost routine basis. There are many, many, many reasons for that.

Back when RPC was the only cat group, there were a LOT of meowchatters
who were VERY, VERY close with one another. A LOT of activities that
went on in RPC actually no longer happen in RPCC today (Major and
Mahler's plane activities being one such thing that I can actively
recall off the top of my head).

The split of RPC into its subgroups indelibly changed a lot of things...
many, many more things than I think the newer kitties and their hoomans
can understand, simply because they're newer and they weren't here
before the split. As I recall, there were MASSIVE flame wars around the
time of the discussion of the split, and feelings were hurt in the
process. There are meowchatters who were quite active in the original
RPC whom I've NEVER, EVER seen again since the split, and the reasons
for that may have a lot to do with how the split happened and the flame
wars that surrounded it.

RPCC is NOT the same group that it was back in the day when it was RPC,
and we had to preface our headers with "MEOW", so that those that wanted
to filter out our meowchat could do so. Some people will say that in
some ways, RPCC is a better group. Some will say that, in some ways,
it's not as fun for some people (having said this, there ARE valid
reasons that some RPC folks stopped posting, other than it just wasn't
fun anymore [lost internet access at work... don't have the time
anymore... there are even some people who still cannot access RPCC
through their ISP or newsgroup provider, even though it's been around
for a long time now. Some news feeds just don't carry it.]). I
personally prefer to just think that RPCC is different these days... not
in terms of "better" or "worse".

You also have to remember, too, that people change as they grow older.
What was once upon a time fun just isn't anymore... not because it's
turned "bad", so to speak, but because the people have simply outgrown
that kind of fun (which is what I think has happened to me, to some
degree, as I've gotten older). Another reason things have changed is
because kitties' likes and dislikes change over time, as well, not to
mention that there ARE a LOT of newer kitties in the newsgroup. That,
right there, will "shift" the interests of the group, and that's not a
bad thing at all, I feel. Every kitty and hooman that *posts* here
should feel welcome and have fun being here, and if that isn't the case
for you anymore, then it's time to bow out gracefully, rather than
ruining a fun time for everyone else.

I don't mean or want to speak for anykitty or hooman, but the new
kitties who've joined RPCC in recent years since the split ARE welcome
here, IMNSHO. We ARE glad to have you here, and we DO want the new
kitties to feel welcome and join in or start activities that are fun,
not only for the rest of the group, but for the individual kitties, I
believe.

though I recognize that the job is difficult, it
is extremely worthwhile, both in times of grief and times of joy.

A huge Bravo and Thank You to those who work especially hard to make the
above possible.

Sylvia, Meowmee and sekkiterry tu Pitô.ônya.

--- Unca Cory