Old August 5th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default OT Health & Diet Update (WAS: Challenge 24)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
I did think about Usenet some when I was in the hospital for 7
days
but only because hospitals are terribly boring. I wasn't begging
the nursing staff to smuggle in a laptop with wireless

Jill

How are you feeling, Jill? Are you able to eat anything more solid
than soup now?

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

I feel good, thanks! The surgeon wants to let my system get "back
to normal" before scheduling my surgery. I'm to call immediately
(day or night) so he can call in antibiotics if any of my symptoms
return in the meantime.

I've been off the liquid diet since before I was discharged from the
hospital. I have to eat a low fiber diet for a while. This
confuses some people since (allegedly) diverticulitis is caused by
not getting enough fiber. Problem is, high fiber food isn't easily
digrested and gets trapped in the diverticuli. Once the diverticuli
become inflamed and infected (and in my case, rupture) fibrous foods
make things worse.

So for the time being, no whole grain breads or pastas (I had to buy
a loaf of white bread for the first time in 25+ years!). White
flour all the way. White "Texas toast" makes a fine grilled cheese
sandwich, though I need to avoid overly fatty and fried foods
but that's not a problem. Meat needs to be lean and practically
"chopped". I had a breakfast of ham & scrambled eggs in the
hospital. The ham had been chopped into tiny bits. I'm sure some of
the kitties here would have approved!

I have to avoid fresh fruits; who'd have thought a peach or an apple
was too high in fiber? They are. Canned (processed) fruit is fine.
Vegetables need to be well cooked. That's not a problem... I don't
like veggies cooked to mush but I was never a fan of "tender-crisp"
and the texture of raw veggies makes me cringe. Potatoes have to be
peeled; none of those "homestyle" mashed taters with the skins left
on.

I have to avoid nuts and seeds at all costs. For the time being
things like lentils and some dried beans (which I love) are a no-no.
Tomato sauce has to be strained to remove the seeds. I can't eat
corn, either, which is a shame since I love corn on the cob and I
make a mean corn chowder! But the skin of the kernels is too
fibrous and difficult to digest. (sigh)

Jill

Sending purrs that you are feeling well enough for the dietary
restrictions to be a PITA.

Those single serving cups of fruit and applesauce aren't bad. The
berry flavored apple sauce is really pretty good.

The cups of pudding aren't awful either, if you get a decent brand.

We have half a shelf in the refrigerator dedicated to these things and
another shelf in the freezer to guilt free "ice cream" treats.

Jo