Old August 5th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default OT Health & Diet Update (WAS: Challenge 24)

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

outsider wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
I've been off the liquid diet since before I was discharged from
the hospital. I have to eat a low fiber diet for a while. This
confuses some people since (allegedly) diverticulitis is caused by
not getting enough fiber. Problem is, high fiber food isn't easily
digrested and gets trapped in the diverticuli. Once the
diverticuli become inflamed and infected (and in my case, rupture)
fibrous foods make things worse.

So for the time being, no whole grain breads or pastas (I had to
buy a loaf of white bread for the first time in 25+ years!). White
flour all the way. White "Texas toast" makes a fine grilled cheese
sandwich, though I need to avoid overly fatty and fried foods
but that's not a problem. Meat needs to be lean and practically
"chopped". I had a breakfast of ham & scrambled eggs in the
hospital. The ham had been chopped into tiny bits. I'm sure some
of the kitties here would have approved!

I have to avoid fresh fruits; who'd have thought a peach or an
apple was too high in fiber? They are. Canned (processed) fruit
is fine. Vegetables need to be well cooked. That's not a
problem... I don't like veggies cooked to mush but I was never a
fan of "tender-crisp" and the texture of raw veggies makes me
cringe. Potatoes have to be peeled; none of those "homestyle"
mashed taters with the skins left on.

I have to avoid nuts and seeds at all costs. For the time being
things like lentils and some dried beans (which I love) are a
no-no. Tomato sauce has to be strained to remove the seeds. I
can't eat corn, either, which is a shame since I love corn on the
cob and I make a mean corn chowder! But the skin of the kernels is
too fibrous and difficult to digest. (sigh)

Jill

I was going to ask you about all of this because I am having problems
dealing with the medical system here. My doctor was away when I was
admitted to the hospital but I don't think that is a good excuse.
The gi doc who did the colonoscopy is now in India with a family
emergency so I met with his boss but not one of my doctors seems to
know what to tell me to do. I was told to go back to normal foods
but as I started dialing in more fiber I think I started getting
"stopped" up again. every time I see a doctor it cost me a day fo
work and a bunch of money. I am going to see my primary doc in about
an hour and plan to tell him I am frightened and frustrated. I think
I should be back on the low residue diet (me too on the white bread
BTW) and hopefully I will stabilize until Sept. Oct. when I can get
surgery if it is still indicated. I was not even too bad with the
low residue diet but no one told me to stay on it including the
surgeons. I am very glad to see you say all this because I am
finally thinking I am not the crazy one and you give a bit of
confirmation to that.

Nope, you're not crazy! He told me to stick with the low residue
thing until after the surgery. I'm pretty sure not doing that (not
being told to) after my first encounter in the emergency room is what
landed me in the hospital in the first place.

Have you been told how "normal" (and how soon) you will be after they
do surgery?

The surgery is laproscopic so as surgeries go pretty simple. 1-2 days
in hospital at most. Should be over it in about a week. I'm still
not going to rush things afterwards, though.

ps: My thing is the amazing lentil soup I make that I need to not
make.

Andy

Bummer! I adore lentil soup.

Jill

Thanks. This info helps. My doc was pretty good this time too but I
have some work work to do so will update you a bit later. The soup
problem is even worse since I also put barley in it and can eat the whole
pot I love it so much but I do up some mushroom and pepper soup which
fits the low res a bit better. Glad to see your on the mend too. More
later.

Andy