Old August 22nd 03, 03:29 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Calvin Rice" wrote in message
m...
snip
Has it been the experience of others that cats who disappear without a

trace
have later been found to have been kidnapped or purposely killed, or has
some other cause been determined to be likely? Also, is there something

that
I haven't done that should have been done to find the cat, dead or alive?

There is a wonderful story of a cat in Pierre Berton's "Cats I Have Known
and Loved" (more than one, actually, since the whole book is about cats).
One of his neighbours had a cat disappear suddenly while lounging on the
porch. Seven months later, the cat showed up again, in not so good shape.
Piecing together the evidence, it was determined that the cat had very
likely been carried away by an owl, and was probably carried across a
not-so-nearby river. Because Pousse-Pousse (the cat) could not swim, he had
to wait until the river froze before he could try to make his way back home.
In the meantime, he survived by eating small rodents and the like *and* was
very likely "taken in" by a herd of deer. You'd have to read the story to
fully appreciate it. I'm sure with my re-telling, it sounds like fiction,
but if you could read it, you would believe it. The cat, btw, is still
living a very happy life (judging from his picture).

So, the moral of my story is, hope for the best, though be prepared for the
worst.

rona