Old August 1st 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Default Now I have a cat in a cage in my garage!

Gandalf wrote:
I came home from work, and decided to try being sneaky.

I parked my car on the street, and let myself in the service door. I
figured the cat would freeze where it was, hoping I wouldn't see him.
Or something.

I was right: she was on top of the lumber.

Yes, it's a female. Looks pretty much full grown, but very, very thin
:-(

She didn't struggle at all. I set her down on the floor (keeping a
light hold on her) and she just flopped down on the floor, purring.

I started petting her, and she just ate it up, head butting me.

This is no stray or feral: it's a dumped pet. This cat has spent time
around people. Enough to know that that's where food comes from :-)

Then I figured I had to lock her up, or I wouldn't see her for a week,
again.

I have a wire cat 'carrier' that's big enough for two cats; I got it
when I adopted Lucky. Later, I bought 2 'single sized', used plastic
carriers, for Lucky and Blizzard.

Anyway, I put the kitty in the large carrier. It makes for a pretty
small cage :-(

I put a really small litter box, and some food and water in with her.

There is hardly room for the poor kitty in there :-(

Then I spent the whole afternoon calling shelters and rescue
organizations, again.

This time I thought I would offer to make a 'sizeable donation'
(yeah, I lied....), if they would take this loveable kitty.

NO WAY!

NOBODY will take the cat, no matter WHAT I promise. ONE place said
they would help out with the vet expenses, but only if I would foster
her, until she's adopted.

I don't know how long it takes to get FeLeuk, FIP, etc test results.
Not overnight, that's for sure.

And I can't foster her.

Kenzie (my primary concern, after all) would go ballistic.

I tried to introduce another cat to her before.

Kenzie is a dedicated 'only cat'; for life.

Even if and when I could get the kitty checked out, I can't isolate
her.

The basement is spiders, centipedes, pill bugs, and mold. And Kenzie's
litter box is down there.

The door on the bathroom hasn't really worked for at least 5 years. My
drunken, overweight brother tried to open the door without using the
knob. He broke the hinges, and the latch, right off the door frame.

Later, when he sobered up, he advised me I would have to have a new
door hung, frame and all. I just never did it. I live alone; I don't
care if the door doesn't latch...or really close.

So now I have really unhappy cat in a small cage, in my garage.

Every 10 minutes or so, I go out to check on her. She cries when she
sees me. Poor kitty: she must be scared to death. She hasn't eaten the
gooshy food I gave her. That's not a good sign. She's so very, very
thin. She needs to eat.

Things are just going from bad to worse.

Oh Gosh, this breaks my heart, but I can only imagine what you're feeling.
Can she stay in the garage for time being, not in the cage?

kili