Old February 21st 04, 11:16 PM
MaryL

"Amy" wrote in message
news
I've recently switched my cats from free to fixed feeding. They really
don't like it and I'm tempted to switch them back. Is fixed feeding really
all that beneficial?

Thanks.
Amy

I previously free-fed my cat Holly with hairball control dry food. I
adopted Duffy a year ago. He had been at the shelter for 3 months and was
free fed on whatever dry food had been donated during the period. I also
learned about that same time that Holly (who previously had maintained
stable weight) had gained about 1 pound over the previous year -- a
significant percentage of a cat's weight. On the advice of people from this
NG, I switched to premium canned food. I used Wellness canned and Felidae
canned for Holly, and I originally started Duffy on Innova because he was
much too thin when I adopted him. After Duffy gained some weight, I changed
his diet to Wellness and Felidae. I now feed both cats approximately 1/3
can of canned food twice a day. Every third or fourth day, I give them a
small amount of Wellness dry as a treat. Both are at their "ideal" weights
and have maintained that weight under this plan.

Like you, I had difficulty converting my cats to canned food. They resisted
and did not eat well at first, and I had terrible feelings of guilt.
However, I am glad I persisted because they both are at optimum health,
their fur is soft and glossy, and both now look forward to their meals
(scheduled for 12 hours apart, or as close to that as possible). In fact,
they will come to get me if I delay too long. I do still give them a small
amount of Wellness dry every 3rd or 4th day as a treat because they really
like it. Duffy, especially, comes running as soon as he hears the
"clinking" sound of dry food dropping into the food bowls.

I would strongly encourage you to continue with your plan to switch to
canned food, but make sure it is very good quality food. I think your cats
will benefit, and you will eventually find that they will adjust (but your
heart will hurt in the meantime).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'