Old November 2nd 15, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
gamincat[_2_]

Default Feline Breast Cancer (Post-surgery)

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 4:50:45 PM UTC-5, Karece Lopez wrote:
Does anyone have experience with low white blood cell counts and chemotherapy?
Did WBC fall then rise?
Do you think chemotherapy was worth it (health and happiness of the cat, financial and emotional for you)?

So, our 5 year old spayed female has breast cancer. In July she had a radical mastectomy to remove the right mammary chain. Four weeks ago she had her first chemotherapy injection.
Initially we were going to do a treatment every two-three weeks with blood work in between the early treatments to check for side effects. The problem is that her white blood cell count remains too low for further chemotherapy after four weeks. The oncologist says this is unusual but I should bring her back next week for blood work again. When I started I felt that chemo was the way to go but I don't want to drag her to the vet every week for blood work.

In my past experience with cats and cancer, you have to see how it goes with the treatments. I had two cats do very well with chemo - very little if any side effects - and their cancers were successfully put into remission. Another cat who was more elderly did not do well and I eventually stopped the treatment and put him down when it seemed like the right time. There are meds they can use to help them tolerate the chemo in some cases such as for nausea or loss of appetite.

Good luck to you and your little one.