Old April 29th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default The Raccoon and the Possum

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 18:22:53 -0700 (PDT), Bill Stock
wrote:

I've mentioned that we leave food out for a couple of strays and the wildlife sometimes gets into it. But the other night I turned on the light and I see a large Raccoon and a Possum at the same food. The Possum left as soon as I turned the light on, but he didn't exactly run away either. I thought Possums were relatively timid, despite all those sharp little teeth. I don't know what happened before I turned on the light, but the Raccoon was not aggressive at all, which really surprised me.

We have raccoons and possums and I'm sure they get along. Possums and
cats get along well, I don't know about raccoons and cats though.
Neither can eat the other so I suspect they leave each other alone.

Raccoons are very smart, and I haven't noticed them being very
aggressive. Mostly you don't see them; but you see the possums.
Possums don't cause problems at all - if you have damage like
overturned garbage cans that almost certainly going to be a raccoon
rather than a possum. I think it's great that they've found ways to
live and thrive in a human dominated world. We've destroyed so much
animal life that we're very likely to follow it into a well deserved
extinction ourselves. Hopefully the raccoons and possums will take
over and do a better job.