Old August 8th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default OT - WARNING POLITICAL & AW (Human)

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 18:40:56 +0000, outsider wrote:

Lesley wrote in news:059172f9-5c54-4ad4-a025-
:

On Aug 4, 1:57Â*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Â*These were not
"savages", but people who had adopted the White Man's ways, were
educated in Eastern U.S. schools, and had become prosperous farmers

and
businessmen. (Since their territory included a good chunk of the Deep
South, many had lavish plantations, and were slave-owners.)

This is very strange.....

A couple of days ago, Dave, me and Jim the Gardener were sitting in the
local chatting and we were trying to remember the name of the tribe of
Indians who adopted white man's ways to the extent that some of them
were even slave owners only to still have their land taken away and to
be moved to poorer land and none of us could remember their name....so
today I glance down a thread on this list and there's the answer to the
question that plagued the three of us all night

(cue X-Files music)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

You think no American Indian had slaves until the "white man" arrived.
Do you also think no africans had slaves until the "white man" taught
them? In the scheme of things the europeans were pretty late in the
slavery game. And you do know that lots of africans sold lots of
africans to white (and african) slave traders, right? I wont defend how
the people who were here (in north america) were treated by the new
arrivals but I don't like when people assume there was no evil until the
white europeans came along (which I realize is not exactly what you
said).

Most cultures in the world have gone through a slave-holding phase (and
some still practice it). Once people moved past hunting and gathering
for food to practicing agriculture, it became an advantage to have
laborers who did a larger percentage of the work but got a smaller
percentage of the results of that work. For example, if you were on the
losing side of a war, you had a good chance of ending up as a slave.
Enslavement of someone who couldn't afford to pay off a debt was also
common, or a family having to sell one of their children in order to have
enough money to feed the rest.

--
John F. Eldredge --

PGP key available from