Old August 15th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Skye

Default Cat Pregnancy Questions?

On Aug 15, 7:52 am, "Wendy" wrote:

If you aren't willing to get her spayed,

Which I never said I wasn't willing, but ya'll assumed...

you are doing more harm than good
by feeding her. You are keeping her healthy enough to continue reproducing
kittens when there are already too many kittens to ever possibly home. You
basically are facilitating the birth of kittens so that they or others like
them will have to be put to death. I know people mean well when they start
feeding strays but the truth is that it's better not to and just let nature
take it's course unless you're willing to commit to doing it right and
spay/neuter the cat.

Oh for God's sakes, I would NEVER start feeding a cat or dog just to
quit
when it becomes inconvenient for me. THAT's one of MY pet peeves -
people who do that or take on pets just to dump them when they get
tired
of them or they don't like them. And I know it happens a lot. So
forget
it - not even up for discussion. But thanks for reminding me there's
people like you who do that and/or advocate it. It's sick. :-/

Or that I should have ignored her 2 years ago when she was stumbling
around broken, starving, and skeletal. I DID try for about 8 years,
but
come on now. Every animal lover has their limit, and actually, I
don't
regret starting it one bit.

Truth is, this is the first cat I've ever "had" that I couldn't win
over, and I'm not
comfortable with that fact. I didn't know at the beginning she
wouldn't warm
up to me, now did I? But just because she's like that, doesn't mean
I'm gonna
discard her like a soiled tissue now.

For anyone else who's reading this: don't take on a dog, cat, rabbit,
gerbil,
ferret, etc., unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you're
willing to
stand by and take care of it for the rest of it's life. If you don't
think you're
up to it or mature enough or are too fickle in your relationships,
simply
DON'T DO IT to begin with. End of story. And that goes for feeding
strays
too. Even if there's a risk you might not be able to spay it or make
a true
"pet" out of it. Once you start, it's yours. Jeesh.

THAT'S why people tend to get a little
short with someone who is exacerbating the problem.

Oh, go pick on someone who deserves it. Surely, you can find someone
out of all the pet-dumpers, animal abusers, people who REGULARLY
don't
get their pets spayed or neutered, people who don't CARE about
euthanized animals, etc., etc. Hey, I'll even join you for that.

Skye