Old April 10th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default anyone has PC pet insurance?

W. Leong wrote:

Does anyone has PC pet insurance in Canada? I think this is fairly new.
I appreciate hearing any opinion on this insurace.
Info can be found at
http://www.pcinsurance.ca/ROCEN/PI.asp?referid=leftnav

With the rising cost of vet bills for an aging cat, I am considering
getting insurance
for Rusty. But since he is almost 12 years old, many insurance will not
accept him.
With his history of urinary problems, even PC pet insurance which accepts
pets
at any age will exclude coverage on urinary problems for him.
So I am uncertain whether it is worth it or not. The info didn't indicate
whether
blood and urine tests are covered. I found those quite costly.

I will like also like to hear opinions on pet insurace in general.

I had pet insurance on my cats when it first was offered in the U.S. I
soon decided it wasn't worth the price - at least not in the form in which
it was available then. The premium is on a sliding scale, depending upon
the pet's age, so if you have a healthy older pet, you may find yourself
paying out more in premiums than you would in pay-as-you-go fees. It did
not cover routine shots and exams, which were all my guys needed, most of
the time. IIRC, the total coverage had a (fairly low) ceiling, above
which I'd have had to pay the whole bill, anyway.....

Policies may have changed considerably since then (it WAS quite a few
years ago), so I don't want to discourage you entirely. However, just
remember that insurance companies are in business to make money, so be
very sure what you'll be getting, and EXACTLY how much you'll be paying.

I came to the same conclusion after checking out several policies. I opted,
instead, to open a special savings account just for Holly and Duffy. I put
a small amount into it every month, and I have not touched it for anything
so far. It is not for routine exams or even for minor problems. It is
reserved for any major problems that may crop up in the future (and they
will, as my cats age, at least if my previous cats are indicators). I hope
that I will have a reasonable fund by the time it is needed so that I can
self-insure. That takes some risks that not enough time will elapse, but I
think it is likely to provide better care than most insurance policies. (I
am in the U.S., so I do not have specific information about Canadian
policies.)

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf