Old September 8th 12, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default My Cat Won't Enter Half the House

Gandalf wrote:
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 22:59:36 +0000 (UTC), FragSinatra
wrote:

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

Try putting her food and water a few feet in the direction you would
like her to go. Then, every day or two, move it another foot or so
in that direction. She will gradually get used to going wherever it
is to eat and drink, and will eventually be eating on the kitchen
floor, or wherever you want her to be. We did this with Smokey, our
feral cat many years ago. He started out way in the back end of our
back yard, where he hunted for mice by a natural spring that we
have back there. I put out a bowl of chopped, roasted chickin for
him. Then I graduqlly moved it toward our house, up the stairs to
our rear deck, and eventually through our sliding glass doors into
our bedroom where he would, at night while we were sleeping,
explore the whole house. Today, Smokey is a very old cat, but he is
well loved and hardly ever goes outside. Our roving vet can't
believe how well he looks and is doing.....He is about 17 years
old.....

That's a nice, inspirational story about Smokey. Have a good week and
Smokey too.

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

I always love hearing about feral cats that are adopted as indoor
pets, as I know it takes a LOT of work and patience to 'tame' a feral
cat.

Smokey is a very fortunate cat, indeed. No feral cat lives to such a
nice old age,

Yes. Smokey's mom taught him well to be very afraid of human beings. It took
us a long time to undo all that learning and convince him that we would not
harm him. Most people wouldn't have bothered, but my wife and I were retired
and didn't have much else to do. He spent a couple of Winters living in a
cat carrier equipped with a waterproof heating pad on our back porch. The
day when my wife went outside, picked him up, and carried him in to our
bedroom and started brushing him was a milestone also. I no longer remember
the exact order of these milestones, but they were all part of, "The taming
of Smokey" Today, he has absolutely no fear of human beings and remains
sleeping in the living room no matter who comes in the house. Even the
roving vet can approach him without any reaction on his part.