Old June 6th 05, 11:24 PM
Steve Remington

Alex,

While I can't yet comment on the outcome of the introduction of our new
kitten I can comment on our experience with the Burmese breed.

Above all they are a very intelligent cat. I have read in many places that
the Burmese is often called the "Dog Cat" because you can train them to do
many things that a dog will do. My experience has been that they are very
intelligent but with the independence of a cat. For example we can get
Fidel to fetch a ball or other toy like a dog but the difference is the
Fidel will play for a little while and then stop with the attitude of "OK!
OK! I have humoured you now but I don't want to play any more".

We have also trained our cats to walk confidently on a lead. Fidel loves it
and nothing phases him while on his walk not even the noise of cars, trucks
and trams at a busy intersection. He also loves the attention he gets when
people see the unusual sight of a cat being walked on a lead. He always
gets a pat or a cuddle.

They are also very loyal. Fidel has bonded to me and is never too far away
when I am working at home.

Also one thing about Burmese cats is that they should never be allowed
outside to roam. They do not have very good road sense and their confidence
with other people means that they are likely to be stolen.

I would recommend a Burmese to any person wanting an intelligence active and
affectionate cat.

But remember however calm and welcoming of other cats you current cat is he
may react differently when you introduce a permanent cat to the house so
make sure you take the introduction slowly.
--
Regards,
Steve

Steve Remington IS my name so remove
the ".notmy" from email address to reply
Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein
"Alex" wrote in message

"Steve Remington" wrote in message

My main question is: "Do you think that introducing them too quickly as

we
did could have caused any long term effect on the likelihood of the two

of
them getting on OK?" We know that Fidel may not get on as well with the
kitten as he did with the his brother but we would like to do what we

can
do
to maximise the chance of a positive relationship between Fidel and the

new
kitten.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to reply.
--
Regards,
Steve

Very interestied in yoru post - as we had 2 brothers (just domestic
shorthair moggies), one of whom ran away (rather than died), and we were
thinking of getting a kitten (a Burmese, coincidentally) to offer some
companionship to Khamun - although he doesn't seem to have missed his
brother too much., but they didn't seem to interract much when they were
together so maybe that's the explanation. Khamun is a very calm cat so

I'm
hopeful that the introduction will go OK - he doesn't seem to get too

upset
when a neighbouring cat comes in through the catflap and eats his food.
Although he does the same to him so he can't complain much... Are Burmese
quite a nice active breed? I find Khamun rather docile sometimes.