Old December 30th 03, 04:26 AM
Cheryl

Meghan Noecker wrote in on 29 Dec 2003:

On 30 Dec 2003 04:15:07 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

What actions are taken at USDA-inspected slaughter establishments to
ensure that cattle with neurological disease would not enter the human
food supply?

All cattle presented for slaughter in the United States are inspected
before slaughter by FSIS for signs of CNS impairment. Any animals
exhibiting neurologic signs during this inspection are condemned, and
the meat is not permitted for use as human food. The brains from these
animals are submitted to USDA's National Veterinary Services
Laboratories for analysis.
http://aphisweb.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/i...-overview.html

Then how do they explain downer cows being used in Western Washington?
They can't walk. How can they be approved?

Exactly.

--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller