Old June 19th 05, 04:03 PM
Annie Wxill

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news
Does anybody out there in the US use pet insurance? We're thinking about
enrolling our tribe, but we want to be sure it's worth it. It will not be
cheap, considering the number of cats... However, this would allow us
to treat more than one catastrophic illness or treatment without killing
our finances. We've looked at a couple of seemingly reputable companies,
their coverage varies significantly and so does the cost. From what I was
looking at, it would cost from around $100 to over $200 per month,
depending on the coverage, to insure all cats.
Any pointers (is getting the regular vet visit rider worth it?) or
recommendations would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Victor M. Martinez

At one time we had VPI with the vaccination rider. The rider wasn't worth
it because our vet charged less than the cost of the rider. So we dropped
the rider but kept the insurance. When Moxie came down with pancreas and
liver problems, the insurance did cover some of our costs.
They do offer group rates, which might help you some. You do have to file
claims, and that is a hassle. You also have to be aware of deductibles and
limits on certain conditions.
We now have the catastrophic insurance for Cinder and Rosie (Moxie
eventually died). Cinder costs $13.34 and Rosie costs $10.57 a month. I'm
still not convinced it is worth it. I think that the suggestion to set
aside a certain amount to cover those things could be a better idea.
Annie