Old June 20th 05, 12:48 AM
Yowie

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news
Does anybody out there in the US use pet insurance? We're thinking about
enrolling our tribe, but we want to be sure it's worth it. It will not
be cheap, considering the number of cats... However, this would
allow us to treat more than one catastrophic illness or treatment
without killing our finances. We've looked at a couple of seemingly
reputable companies, their coverage varies significantly and so does the
cost. From what I was looking at, it would cost from around $100 to over
$200 per month, depending on the coverage, to insure all cats.
Any pointers (is getting the regular vet visit rider worth it?) or
recommendations would be most appreciated.

Don't know what its like in the USA, but pet insurance here doesn't seem to
be worth it. Its something like $30 a month per pet, and they'll only pay
out $500 a year, total, per pet, not to mention all the hassle of meeting
the insurer's requirements and going through the whole claim process.
Indeed, I had a friend who had beeing paying her insurance without as much
as a late payment, and then the poor doggy got ran over. The insurance said
that the dog had to be put down and would only pay for the costs of being
put to sleep, but after extensive surgery (~$3000) the dog made a full
recovery.

So I figure if you are prepared to "pay" a bank account your insurance
premium, in less than two years, you've already got more than what the
insurance company would pay out, its earning interest for you, not hte
insurance company, and its htere for you to use as you see fit rather than
having to negotiate with an insurance company.

Personally, thats what I have credit cards for.

YMMV, of course.

Yowie