Old September 9th 15, 09:20 PM posted to alt.atheism,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Your cat doesn't love you: science

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:56:23 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"J" wrote in message

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...ve-you-science

Rudyard Kipling was right. Cats really do walk by themselves, and do
not need their owners to feel secure and safe, a study has shown.
Although absent owners might worry that their pet is pining, in fact,
cats show no sign of separation anxiety.

Let's just say that Boyfriend prefers me to stay at home with him and is
delighted when I come home, whether I've been out for a couple of hours
on
a shopping trip or away for the day like last week. Whether this means
he
*loves* me, I don't know. I do know he is very attached to me and
no-one
else.
No matter how many weeks he's been fed by other people e.g. when I've
been
in hospital, once I am home he becomes afraid of them again.
He sees Claire at least twice a week, she was here 3 times a day looking
after me last year but he wants to go out the minute she visits.
Luckily
she is not offended, she's Tigger's meowmie.
I don't know if animals experience love for humans in the human sense of
it. I do know that Boyfie only wants *me* to be with him. Is that love?
Maybe he is just used to me and feels safe with me.
I love *him* anyway..

Tweed

I read the article. They may not "love" us as we humans love one another,
but last week my wife was away for a week, visiting our daughter. He acted
normally. Ate normally, slept his usual 16 hours a day and demanded that I
scratch his head as he always does. But when she came back he immediately
started following her around the house for 2 days, No fear, just trying to
be close to her.

And in the evening, when I read in bed, he always comes around to poke at
the book, and then lies down in the crook of my arm and we "read together"
for a while. Is that love? I think that's the way cats do love.

Jay

They love us the way cats love - eg all my female cats have held my
hand down with a watw and licked it the way they do with their
kittens.

Storming Mormon alert.