Old September 14th 04, 02:48 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

If the cats are healthy and without kidney issues, I'd rather feed a
higher phosphorus canned diet than lower phosphorus dry food. There is
no evidence that somewhat higher phosphorus levels than the Hill's Gods
dictate note intense sarcasm here ;-) are harmful to healthy cats.
It's becomes a concern with kidney failure (which may be postponed or
avoided by feeding a canned diet). If you look at the phosphorus content
of a mouse, it's higher than cat food. The constant state of dehydration
that occurs as a result of feeding dry food is, IMO, much more harmful.

Thanks.

I think we're going to go with a variety of wet food in the morning and
afternoon and leave them some dry overnight. Hopefully over time they'll
learn to like the better quality wet, but in the meantime, I want them to get
good nutrition, so I'll let them have some dry. Plus, I think it's good for
them to have to chew once in a while. *G*
They can get the water content of the wet and the nutrition of the dry for
now.

I sure wish I could talk to them and bribe them with treats for eating the
good stuff. *smiles*

You know, why is it the higher-quality wet looks like paste and the lower-
quality wet is all full of gravy and looks almost good enough for me to eat?
Well, not really, but you know what I mean. *heh*
No wonder they prefer the Fancy Feast. The good stuff sure doesn't look very
good, and it doesn't smell very good, either. If I were a cat, I'd probably
refuse to eat it, too.

~kaeli~
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully
recovered.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace