Smudgie is Lost!

Old July 1st 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - Help Article

Check Your own Yard First

Indoor cats who slip out will usually stay in their own yards, or hide under
decks, foundations, and shrubbery.

Use a Baby Monitor on Your Porch

Leave a bowl of food on your porch, and aim an electronic baby monitor at
it. One reader recently recovered her missing cat after three days when she
heard mewing coming from the baby monitor at 3 a.m.

Create Flyers with a Photo of the Cat

Offer a reward (more about this later), and distribute the flyers
door-to-door in at least a three-block radius, also post in store windows
and on telephone poles.

Alert your Animal Control Officer

Give him/her a flyer and ask that s/he be on the lookout for your cat, dead
or alive.

Call Local Veterinarians

It is possible a "guardian angel" brought your cat in with injuries; ask the
vets if you can post a flyer in their clinics

Visit your Local Animal Shelter

Leave a flyer and ask if a cat meeting the description has been brought in,
alive or dead

Enlist Neighborhood Children

Visit your local school and ask that children keep their eyes (and ears)
open for information about your cat; hand out flyers. Ask for permission
from school authorities before talking directly to children.

Advertise

Most local newspapers and shopping guides will allow free "lost & found"
ads. Also Check the newspaper listing for "found cats"

Post to Local Lost/Found Internet Pages

Some communities sponsor web sites specifically designed for lost/missing
pets.

Check with Local Rescue Organizations

Ask for permission to visit foster homes that may have recently taken in a
cat meeting the description.

Hire a Pet Detective

Preferably one with tracking dogs and other technology designed for that
purpose.

The Importance of Identification

It is important to emphasize that with proper identification, your cat may
be returned to you without having to go through all this stress. If your cat
wears a collar and tags, most people will return him to you if they think he
is lost. With micro-chipping and/or ear tattooing, many veterinarians and
animal shelters will be able to notify you, even if the collar/tags were
removed. Professional thieves will avoid cats with ear tattoos; they know
that laboratories will not accept owned cats, and more nefarious "end users"
will probably also avoid them.

Use Caution in Offering Rewards

Heart-rending stories have been told about cruel extortionists who extracted
large cash rewards from grieving pet owners, under the premise of having
"found" their pets. If you advertise with an award, be sure to leave out one
or two pertinent identifying details of your cat (one black whisker, one
white toe, etc.) Don't leave yourself open for false hopes, and by all
means, don't wire reward money until you see your cat.

Become Involved and Involve Your Neighbors

Most important of all, take steps to prevent cats from becoming lost in the
first place. There most likely are other outdoors cats in your neighborhood,
especially if you live in the suburbs.

Contact their owners and tell them of your concerns.

Organize a "cat neighboorhood watch."

Stress the importance of identification for their cats.

Be on the lookout for strangers in the neighborhood, and if you see someone
picking up a cat, get the license number and description of the vehicle.
Call the owner, if you recognize the cat.

Become familiar with the laws in your community with regard to pets. Many
cities have laws that state all found pets must be turned into the local
shelter. Unfortunately, many people do not realize this, or disregard the
law.

Write letters to your newspaper. Point out the Golden Rule with regard to
"finding" someone else's pet.
Indoors is Safest

Although indoors cats do occasionally slip out, they rarely go far, and can
usually be lured back in easily before meeting harm. It goes without saying
that an inside cat is a safer cat .

Here's hoping that you never have to go through the worry and turmoil of a
missing cat, but if you do, that these tips will help in a successful
recovery. Remember, it's every bit as frightening for our wayward cats as it
is for us.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening
Smudgie chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never
been out of the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking
the streets calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is
scared of strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put
leaflets thru doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping
the "power of the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

Old July 1st 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - Ping Mark

Also, I have your FAQ site bookmarked, but a lot of newbies don't know it
and, being netiquettely correct, you don't put the URL in your SIG when
you're responding, only when you make and original post.

Newbies won't know this, so would you mind if I, and others, put the URL in
our SIGs (giving you credit, of course). For Example:

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old July 1st 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Smudgie is Lost!

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening
Smudgie chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never
been out of the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking
the streets calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is
scared of strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put
leaflets thru doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping
the "power of the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

Can Smudgie easily get back into your garden? In other words, is there a
gate so she would not have to climb over the fence? She can obviously do
that, but it would be a good idea to also leave a gate open for easy access.
It is often helpful to leave a bowl of very *strong smelling* food, such as
sardines or any favorite food. Leave it at both the front and back doors.

"Lost" cars are often close by but hiding under shrubs or bushes, so it
would be a good idea to pay close attention to any trees or bushes in the
near vicinity. This is especially true for a cat that normally does not
stray and may be frightened.

Good luck! I know how worrisome something like this is.

MaryL

Old July 1st 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening Smudgie
chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never been out of
the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking the streets
calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is scared of
strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put leaflets thru
doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping the "power of
the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

We are sending our heartfelt purrs for Smudgie to fund her way back to
you. Could you hang some used clothing around the fence so she could
use this as a guide? Best wishes. MLB
Old July 1st 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way!

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old July 1st 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 1 July, 14:40, "Sharon & Smudgie" wrote:
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening Smudgie
chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. *She has never been out of
the garden before so I am super worried. *I have been walking the streets
calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. *She is scared of
strangers so will not approach anyone for help. *I have put leaflets thru
doors and on lamp posts etc. *I am so worried and am hoping the "power of
the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

I hope she turns up soon.

Jeanette
Old July 1st 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening Smudgie
chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never been out of
the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking the streets
calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is scared of
strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put leaflets thru
doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping the "power of
the purrs" will help guide her home.

Purrs coming from my gang (including my Smudge cat, who once got lost
herself), for your Smudgie to get herself home ASAP!

In the leaflets you passed out to neighbors, did you ask them to check
garages, sheds, basements, etc? My Smudge was missing for a week, and the
whole time, she was almost next door, trapped in a garage.

I also agree with those who said to call shelters and vets' offices.
I'd also suggest that you ask to put up leaflets in the vets' offices
and pet stores.

GYFBH NOW!

Joyce

--
Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old July 1st 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening Smudgie
chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never been out of
the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking the streets
calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is scared of
strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put leaflets thru
doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping the "power of
the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

GYFBH purrs on the way, I'm confident they will work.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old July 1st 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

wrote in message
Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the good suggestions. I have put my garden bin on the
path behind my fence so Smudgie can get back onto it. I'm hoping she will
know once she is on the fence she has the right one! I have put a bowl of
food and water behind the bin in case and one of my socks so she will know
she is near home. I have also put a sock on my front doorstep in case she
happens to find it. I included a pic and a brief description on leaflets
saying that she is scared of strangers so would people please check their
garden shrubs and outbuildings. I've had 3 phone calls so far of possible
sightings but have not been able to locate her. Smudgie has been
microchipped and wears a bright pink collar with my address on it. I
volunteer at the local cat shelter at weekends so they have informed other
shelters of her details for me. I have rang all the local vets and got her
in their "Lost" books in case anyone takes her there. I have also rang the
company that I got her microchipped through to go on their Lost list. I
have also put her pic and details onto all the internet lost cat websites
and my local classifieds website. I put leaflets through all the homes in
my immediate vicinity and on lamp posts etc on my estate. I have walked
around the estate calling her and shaking her dried food box at all times of
day. I've looked under shrubs around the area but there are hundreds and
it's even possible I have walked past her a few times but she is scared to
come out of hiding! Tomorrow I will ring my local council cleansing
department and leave her details in case the worst has happened and they
have found her. I am also going to get a baby monitor (what a fab idea!)
tomorrow and set it up for tomorrow night. There don't appear to be any Pet
Detective's in my area but I will keep researching that. I also gave my
postman a leaflet and he has promised to keep an eye out for her. I run our
local neighbourhood watch so all my close neighbours will be keeping a close
lookout for her too.

Now I have run out of ideas to keep me busy I'm just praying she finds her
way home. Looks like another sleepless night tonight! Thank you for the
purrs, they are such a comfort.

Sharon

Old July 1st 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

[...]

Wow! Nobody could possibly fault you for not doing everything you can
to find her. I have a good feeling about this - you've gathered together
all the support you can find and you have a lot of eyes looking out for
her. She can't have gone too far... but we're keeping the purrs going
for her to come home quickly and end your worries.

Joyce

--
May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.