Ahh, Spring! OT of 3/30

Old April 9th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ahh, Spring! OT of 3/30

Reading posts of blooming spring flowers, I decided I
wanted to see what a "crocus" was....googled it and was
bombarded w/lots of crocus photos links. Some are
butt-ugly, IMHO, but I did like the ones that looked
like orchids, also ones that were ringers for tiger lilies.
There are beautiful flowers here, blooming and dying,
to be replaced immediately by other kinds doing the
same till it gets cold again....so different from the
perennial tropical flowers I was used to seeing all year.
It is great to see them all over the area in RL instead of
only in movies or photos.
The prairie dogs across the street are having lots of
babies these days. I hope everyone remembers that
kitten season is fast approaching and if you've been
putting off spays or neuters for your cats get it done to
keep the shelter population down......kindness for our
dependents begins at home.

Old April 9th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
[...]

Crocuses aren't that spectacular. I only like them because they bloom
so early. Sometimes even come up in the snow. It's like a reminder that
winter *really* will soon be over. Remember when Son was driving in
Colorado--he brought me some Columbine seed. I assume it's a flower
that grows well there -- am trying them although I don't hold much hope
they'll do well in the heat and wind we have.
Prairie dogs are fun to watch. There's a big prairie dog town near
where STeve Touchstone lives. (on the reserve, I believe, where Pam,
STeve & I did the cookout)I remember some controversy about some folks
wanting to destroy them. I hope it didn't happen. I'd love to have
prairie dogs close enough to watch.
Kitten season hasn't hit us (yet). The shelter doesn't have any
kittens, and just a few adult cats. That's rare.

Sherry

Old April 9th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

catch this hundreds of funny videos, a lot of asian funny stuff too...
http://onlinecinema.blogspot.com
Besides that, it has free streaming of holywood movie such as shaolin
soccer, brokeback mountain...

Old April 15th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-09, dnr penned:
There are beautiful flowers here, blooming and dying,
to be replaced immediately by other kinds doing the
same till it gets cold again....so different from the
perennial tropical flowers I was used to seeing all year.
It is great to see them all over the area in RL instead of
only in movies or photos.

There are some beautiful wildflowers here. I love indian paintbrush;
such a vibrant red. I don't recall if I've ever seen it in populated
areas, though, or just on trails.

The prairie dogs across the street are having lots of
babies these days. I hope everyone remembers that
kitten season is fast approaching and if you've been
putting off spays or neuters for your cats get it done to
keep the shelter population down......kindness for our
dependents begins at home.

Those prarie dogs. They're so cute and so dumb. I freaked DH out by
trying to get him to stop the car to shoo one off of the street.
Since then I've found that they're amazingly suicidal, and shooing
them away from dangerous situations would be a 24-hour commitment.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 15th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-09, penned:

reminder that winter *really* will soon be over. Remember when Son
was driving in Colorado--he brought me some Columbine seed. I assume
it's a flower that grows well there -- am trying them although I
don't hold much hope they'll do well in the heat and wind we have.

Here's a picture of what I believe is one from a hike last July:

http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca/columbine.jpg

It was at fairly high altitude, certainly over 8k.

How hot and windy does it get there? It gets into the 90s and
occasionally breaks 100 here, and we get gusts of wind up to 70mph
pretty frequently, but if the flower grows more at altitude, it's
probably used to cooler temperatures.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 15th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-09, penned:

reminder that winter *really* will soon be over. Remember when Son
was driving in Colorado--he brought me some Columbine seed. I assume
it's a flower that grows well there -- am trying them although I
don't hold much hope they'll do well in the heat and wind we have.

Here's a picture of what I believe is one from a hike last July:

http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca/columbine.jpg

It was at fairly high altitude, certainly over 8k.

How hot and windy does it get there? It gets into the 90s and
occasionally breaks 100 here, and we get gusts of wind up to 70mph
pretty frequently, but if the flower grows more at altitude, it's
probably used to cooler temperatures.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Oh, that is beautiful. The hottest I remember here was 113, but that's
rare. It's very common to hit 100 esp. from July 1 through August.
Right now, the highs range from 91-93 in the forecast for all week. We
didn't get much of a spring, just went straight into hot weather.

Sherry

Old April 16th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I almost feel guilty, weatherwise New England has had about the best
weather. Last year we went from frigid to boiling. This year we had
warmups during the wither, then a snowstorm, then anouther warmup. Now
we'er getting semi sunny 55-65 instead of the usual rain. I don't need the
furnace, but also don't need air conditioner. The windows are open and
Spicey loves the windowsill.
Suz

Old April 16th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-16, SuzQ penned:
I almost feel guilty, weatherwise New England has had about the best
weather. Last year we went from frigid to boiling. This year we had
warmups during the wither, then a snowstorm, then anouther warmup. Now
we'er getting semi sunny 55-65 instead of the usual rain. I don't need the
furnace, but also don't need air conditioner. The windows are open and
Spicey loves the windowsill.
Suz

Don't feel guilty. Here it's in the 70s with a cloudless blue sky.
Heaven. This is why I love Colorado.

(Of course yesterday, the wind was so bad that I didn't feel
comfortable riding my bike or motorcycle ... but others clearly didn't
share that compunction!)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 17th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-17, Tanada penned:

Today our high was 94 F and yesterday it was 90F. The kids went
swimming and ignored the need for sunblock. There are five sore
kids sleeping here tonight. Rob and I stayed home and enjoyed the
quiet. We both read and Rob watched TV.

Pam S. who spend hours listening to the kids complain

Ouch! I remember my severe burn from last year all too well.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

tap water & bottle spring water NMR Cat health & behaviour 28 March 2nd 06 04:46 AM
tap water & bottle spring water mlbriggs Cat health & behaviour 0 February 25th 06 06:35 AM
Spring Cleaning Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 3 April 30th 05 07:10 PM
Cat Fountain - Spring Water - NOT! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 66 July 22nd 04 07:23 PM
cat in the box spring Governor George Liquor Cat health & behaviour 12 September 7th 03 02:34 PM