Yellow cat has been constipated

Old December 31st 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

Default Yellow cat has been constipated

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 12/31/2014 2:30 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 08:33:03 -0800 (PST), "Jack G."
wrote:

Cats are like humans went it comes to water.
For each cat you should have two bowls of fresh water available.
Beef and chicken should be the only type food for cats.

And you received your degree in Animal Medicine where??

*Now* he tells us! To think, all those years I was giving Persia ginger
ale. snork

'tis the season for those who are on school break to swoop in with a
heretofore unknown, priceless bit of information: cats need fresh water.

Oh, and cats shouldn't eat fish, only chicken or beef? I'd say it's
pretty much up to the cat.

My neighbor's cat Schwartzie won't eat poultry or beef Fancy Feast, only
the "fishy" varieties. Persia preferred turkey & giblets, chicken, liver
or beef. Every cat is different. I see no reason to feed a cat something
it doesn't like. They may eventually eat it. They may also later express
displeasure but regurgitating it on the carpet.

Jill

My two cats (Edgar and Agatha, brother and sister) are the same. They refuse
to eat any beef or chicken or turkey or whatever else Fancy Feast offers.
But bring them something with shrimp or tuna, and they'll gobble it up.

AFAIK, though, cats will regurgitate every so often whether or not they like
the food. It's one way to clear hairballs, which they swallow when they are
grooming themselves or each other. And our two groom a LOT.

Jay

Old December 31st 14, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack G.

wrote:

Cats are like humans went it comes to water.
For each cat you should have two bowls of fresh water available.
Beef and chicken should be the only type food for cats.

And you received your degree in Animal Medicine where??

I have raised cats for over 60 years and have taken my cats to the vets at least 1000 times. I was posting from my hands on experience. Get off your high horse.
Old December 31st 14, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

wrote:

Cats are like humans went it comes to water.
For each cat you should have two bowls of fresh water available.
Beef and chicken should be the only type food for cats.

And you received your degree in Animal Medicine where??

I have raised cats for over 60 years and have taken my cats to the vets at
least 1000 times. I was posting from my hands on experience. Get off your
high horse.

Pardon my asking, but if you took your cats to the vets at least 1,000 times
over 60 years, that's an average of 16+2/3 visits per year, or every 21
days or so.

I've had the same 2 cats for 3 years, and they (and I) saw the vet 3 times.

Why so many visits?

Jay

Old December 31st 14, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack G.

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:21:19 AM UTC-8, alien from planet x wrote:
wrote:
On 12/30/2014 8:21 AM, Mike Mayers wrote:
The hairball product is mostly flavored vasoline. You could mix some with tuna juice. I am NOT a vet. Some people use canned pumpkin (NOT the pie filling).

I'd be asking my vet. I'd also stop feeding that new canned food if I
suspected it was the cause of the problem.
Jill

Yellow cat wasn't happy when we drove to the vet today.
It was the first time he was in a carrier.
He cried and fought all the way.
She prescribed some antibiotic, laxative, and special
food.
He's sleeping peacefully with his mom and brother.

--
Islam is the rabies of religion

To calm my cats when they got the vets I use NUTRI*VET Pet -Ease. It is a Salmon flavor gel you put on their paws but first check with your vet.
Old December 31st 14, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack G.

wrote:

Cats are like humans went it comes to water.
For each cat you should have two bowls of fresh water available.
Beef and chicken should be the only type food for cats.

And you received your degree in Animal Medicine where??

I have raised cats for over 60 years and have taken my cats to the vets at
least 1000 times. I was posting from my hands on experience. Get off your
high horse.

Pardon my asking, but if you took your cats to the vets at least 1,000 times
over 60 years, that's an average of 16+2/3 visits per year, or every 21
days or so.

I've had the same 2 cats for 3 years, and they (and I) saw the vet 3 times.

Why so many visits?

Jay

The 1000 should have been 100. I have always had two cats. Thanks for catching
my mistake.
Old January 1st 15, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alien from planet x

wrote:
On 12/31/2014 2:21 PM, alien from planet x wrote:

wrote:
On 12/30/2014 8:21 AM, Mike Mayers wrote:
The hairball product is mostly flavored vasoline. You could mix
some with tuna juice. I am NOT a vet. Some people use canned
pumpkin (NOT the pie filling).

I'd be asking my vet. I'd also stop feeding that new canned food if I
suspected it was the cause of the problem.
Jill

Yellow cat wasn't happy when we drove to the vet today.
It was the first time he was in a carrier.
He cried and fought all the way.
She prescribed some antibiotic, laxative, and special
food.
He's sleeping peacefully with his mom and brother.

Thank you for the update. I hope yellow cat improves. Any discussion
with the vet about what caused the constipation? Does yellow cat have
an intolerance to certain ingredients?
I know about special food. When Persia was young (she came to live with
me when she was 2 or 3) she used to get bladder infections. Crystalline
oxalate formations in her bladder. Hence, special food. Turns out she
also had a (benign) bladder tumor. The r/x food helped. But as she
aged and things changed, so did the recommended food.
I hope things continue to improve for yellow cat.
Jill

The vet wasn't actually there in person.
When I got there the girl told me the vet was at the airport,
getting ready to fly to Mexico for six days. They texted
back and forth, the girl felt for an obstruction, there wasn't
one. The vet prescribed treatment.

Yellow cat won't eat the special food.
Still no change after giving the medicine, and laxative.
--
Islam is the rabies of religion
Old January 1st 15, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alien from planet x

wrote:
[...]

Yellow cat is doing a lot better this morning.

Old January 1st 15, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

Cats are like humans went it comes to water.
For each cat you should have two bowls of fresh water available.
Beef and chicken should be the only type food for cats.

And you received your degree in Animal Medicine where??

I have raised cats for over 60 years and have taken my cats to the vets at least 1000 times. I was posting from my hands on experience. Get off your high horse.

High horse indeed. How about you don't pop in here and talk to us like
we're stupid?

Jill

Yellow Money? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 54 January 29th 07 11:01 AM
Constipated cat Gail Cat health & behaviour 0 July 26th 06 03:55 PM
Yellow Lab in Need of Home MINO Cat health & behaviour 0 October 12th 05 04:31 PM
yellow vomit Jennifer Bradshaw Cat health & behaviour 12 January 12th 04 11:30 PM