OT Sept. 11, 2001 a remembrance

Old September 11th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Default OT Sept. 11, 2001 a remembrance

This is not political but since this is the 5 year remembrance for a day
the world we never forget I thought it appropriate to post a poem that
caught my attention

Sept. 11, 2001

Two Thousand One ~ Nine Eleven (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait

A bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"
They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
"I have a dream!" and once he did
The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
"We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear
"The only thing we have to fear.
The Newcomer said, "We know the rest,
Trust us sir, we've passed that test."

"Courage doesn't hide in caves
You can't bury freedom, in a grave,"
The Newcomers had heard this voice before
A distinct Yankees twang from Hyannis port shores

A silence fell within the mist
Somehow the Newcomer knew that this
Meant time had come for her to say
What was in the hearts of the five thousand plus that day

"Back on Earth, we wrote reports,
Watched our children play in sports
Worked our gardens, sang our songs
Went to church and clipped coupons

We smiled, we laughed,
we cried, we fought
Unlike you, great we're not"

The tall man in the stovepipe hat
Stood and said, "Don't talk like that!
Look at your country, look and see
You died for freedom, just like me"

Then, before them all appeared a scene
Of rubbled streets and twisted beams
Death, destruction, smoke and dust
And people working just 'cause they must

Hauling ash, lifting stones,
Knee deep in hell, but not alone
"Look! Blackman, Whiteman, Brownman, Yellowman
Side by side helping their fellow man!"

So said Martin, as he watched the scene
"Even from nightmares, can be born a dream."
Down below three firemen raised
The colors high into ashen haze

The soldiers above had seen it before
On Iwo Jima back in '45
The man on sticks studied everything closely
Then shared his perceptions on what he saw mostly

"I see pain, I see tears,
I see sorrow -- but I don't see fear."
"You left behind husbands and wives
Daughters and sons and so many lives
Are suffering now because of this wrong
But look very closely. You're not really gone.

All of those people, even those who've never met you
All of their lives, they'll never forget you
Don't you see what has happened?
Don't you see what you've done?
You've brought them together, together as one.

With that the man in the stovepipe hat said
"Take my hand," and from there he led
Three thousand plus heroes, Newcomers to heaven
On this day, two thousand one, nine eleven

Author UNKNOWN (What a shame!)

5 years ago at the time of the first plane hit I was watching the news
already ready to start my day. Everyone thought it was just an airliner
accident. I prayed for the people in the tower. A dear friend called me
to tell me what happened he could not reach anyone else but his family just
me. He was right across from the towers literally right below the south
tower near the side where the second plane hit. I kept telling him to get
out of there get somewhere safe. When the second plane hit I remember
screaming NO at the TV scaring the hell out of the cats and my family. I
yelled him run God run now get the hell out of there. We were both in tears
on the phone. He was telling me to tell his family that he loved them and
we both thought he was going to die right there. I remember the screams in
the backgrounds, the shouts and his tears my tears than silence. I remember
holding on tight to my family praying to all that was good please let them
be ok. I tried calling back but only got his voice mail I promised him his
family would know that they were in his thoughts.
I made so many phone calls that morning trying to find my family and
friends. I had a family member in a building near the towers we could not
find her and no one knew were she was. We were all glued to the TV looking
for answers when I saw the report on the pentagon attacks. I fell to my
knees saying no no n o for a cousin works in the building. We could not
find her for 14 hours. I called out for answers the only answer I had was
silence. No one could tell us anything no one had answers. The rest of
the day was glued to the TV sitting in silence stunned, violated, nauseated,
feeling the hatred, asking for forgiveness for the hatred.

When the announcement of flight 93 came out I just sat there emotional
stunned.

I watched them pull some fire fighters out of the rubble and the first call
he did was to his mother to say "I am ok,I am sorry that I scared you, I
love you". I remembering saying thank you in a silent prayer

I watched the people; looking for my cousin, that had evacuated the
pentagon sitting in the field where a makeshift trama area had been made.
When the repost came in that there was still people trapped inside and
everyone even the injured ones stood up and went running back to help.

I thought heroes all of them and prayed for them and their families when the
towers fell. I thought the world had ended

That evening I received the calls I had been praying for my friend had
made it out of the area he had to walk home many miles, My cousins was
stuck on the freeway for hours in the evacuation. We did not find our other
family member from the towers for 2 weeks. She is the type that disappears
for weeks at a time when she feels like it ( b@tch ).

I am sorry if this offends anyone but after 5 years I had to get this off
my chest. Today in remembrance all I could do is shed tears at the 4
moments of silence. Wear a american flag pin to show support. Drive with
my headlights on all day. To give a smile to the person as I held the door
for them. To make sure I said thank you and you are welcome with a smile on
my face.
To makes sure heroes are remember somehow some way a small way to say thank
you. You are not forgotten

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11

Old September 11th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

I am sorry if this offends anyone but after 5 years I had to get this off
my chest. Today in remembrance all I could do is shed tears at the 4
moments of silence. Wear a american flag pin to show support. Drive with
my headlights on all day. To give a smile to the person as I held the door
for them. To make sure I said thank you and you are welcome with a smile on
my face.
To makes sure heroes are remember somehow some way a small way to say thank
you. You are not forgotten

On 9/11/01 I was driving a truckload of tires from Reno, NV to Oxnard, CA.
I had stopped at the TA truck stop in Salinas, CA for a cup of coffee.
While I was doctoring up my coffee another driver, watching the display
TVs, shouted out "Hey, a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center in
New York". All of us crowded around the TV to see what was going on. I had
to get back on the road, so I turned on the radio for more info.

You would be surprised at the number of truck drivers who were crying on
the CB radio that morning. And later that day there wasn't an American
flag available at any truck stops anywhere - they were all sold out.
Old September 11th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

What a beautiful poem, Matthew, and what a heart-wrenching memory for you.
I live on the west coast, and woke up to the news on my clock radio. I
spent the day alternating hours glued to the TV with hours where I couldn't
bear to absorb any more on the subject, and just had to turn it off. I
didn't know anyone in that area, but it was still heart-wrenching. My heart
swelled with pride when I heard about the brave actions of the passengers on
United 93. I knew then that there will never be another commercial plane
hijacked in the United States, or probably in the world - at least not in
our lifetimes. Subsequent events have proved me right on that score.

I seriously doubt if anyone was offended by your post. You did not make it
political, nor make any judgments. It was a thoughtful, caring post.

Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message
This is not political but since this is the 5 year remembrance for a day
the world we never forget I thought it appropriate to post a poem that
caught my attention

Sept. 11, 2001

Two Thousand One ~ Nine Eleven (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait

A bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"
They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
"I have a dream!" and once he did
The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
"We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear

Old September 11th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Dan M" wrote

On 9/11/01 I was driving a truckload of tires from Reno, NV to Oxnard, CA.
I had stopped at the TA truck stop in Salinas, CA for a cup of coffee.
While I was doctoring up my coffee another driver, watching the display
TVs, shouted out "Hey, a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center in
New York". All of us crowded around the TV to see what was going on. I had
to get back on the road, so I turned on the radio for more info.

You would be surprised at the number of truck drivers who were crying on
the CB radio that morning. And later that day there wasn't an American
flag available at any truck stops anywhere - they were all sold out.

I was on the phone talking to someone at a bank or something, not someone I
knew or had ever talked to before, and she kept saying things like "OMG,
hold on a minute, this is incredible" finally I asked what's going on? and
she said the WTC was falling down. I was in Gloria's house at the time (she
was gone on a trip) so I turned on the TV and stayed glued there for hours,
crying.

Old September 12th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

I can't remember much of what I was doing, watching TV outof boredom I
think, then this newsflash came on, with footage of the first tower in
flames. As I watched, in total disbelief, still unsure whether I was
watching real life or a movie, another plane appeared out of no-where, and
accompanied by the horrifying cries of everyone watching, ploughed into the
second tower. I felt totally numb. Six months before I had been in Egypt,
and felt the tension towards the west there, and I remembered that while I
watched. I remember feeling completely numb, half expecting it to be a joke,
or a movie, it just didn't seem real. You could literally feel everything
change. I had expected some kind of conflict to erupt in my lifetime, as we
have had it really lucky for ages,(compared historically with other eras...I
was studying history at the time) and sooner or later someone always starts
it. But this was the most unexpected, unimaginable horror. Nothing like this
had ever happened, and it changed everything. I could see it changing the
whole American psyche, and a new side of the American people being
presented. And the poem was beautiful. we should never forget, or stop
remembering that day.
. ..

"Matthew" wrote in message
This is not political but since this is the 5 year remembrance for a day
the world we never forget I thought it appropriate to post a poem that
caught my attention

Sept. 11, 2001

Two Thousand One ~ Nine Eleven (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait

A bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"
They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
"I have a dream!" and once he did
The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
"We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear

Old September 12th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gabey8

That's a touching poem. Thanks for sharing it.

I finally wrote up my "where were you when?" story on my blog. It's a long
one, so I'll just post the link to the blog entry:

http://gabey8.blogspot.com/2006/09/a...nk-of-5th.html

The one thing I'll mention here from that post is that when the attacks
began, I was driving in my car in southern New Jersey, not far from
Philadelphia, PA. I'd turned the local newsradio station on a few minutes
earlier, to try and get a traffic report. Instead, it turns out I'd tuned
in a few minutes prior to the station's interruption of their regular
programming to switch to a live broadcast from their sister station in
NYC. The occasion was that an airplane had struck the WTC. While I was
listening, the second airplane crashed into the OTHER tower. I got so
upset, I had an anxiety attack right there, behind the wheel. Long story
short: I was coming from an off-ramp at the time and was so distracted,
instead of yielding to oncoming traffic I nearly got my car broadsided by
a truck. Thank God the truck driver was able to jam on his brakes and
prevent a collision, because if he had hit my car, I'm positive that I
wouldn't be here.

It was just an excruciatingly tragic day. The grief is just as emotionally
close to the surface for me now as it was on the day it happened, and I
didn't personally know any of the unfortunate victims nor their families.
God help the loved ones of the people who died, who have to relive this
anniversary once again. I can't even begin to imagine what they are
experiencing today.

Prayers and purrs for this messed-up world, to stamp out the kind of hate
that inspires hideous acts like this.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old September 12th 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

Matthew wrote:
This is not political but since this is the 5 year remembrance for a day
the world we never forget I thought it appropriate to post a poem that
caught my attention

Sept. 11, 2001

Two Thousand One ~ Nine Eleven (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait

A bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"
They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
"I have a dream!" and once he did
The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
"We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear
[...]

I'm certainly not offended, Matthew. 9/11 happened to us all. It is a
day we SHOULD remember, as we remember the people we lost that day,
especially those who took down the plane on Flight 93 in Pennsylvania
so that that plane could not be used as a weapon against anyone else
on the ground.

My own 9/11 experience was considerably less emotionally wrenching
than yours, as I didn't lose anyone I loved that day, or even come
close to losing them. My family is very West Coast based, and my
brother, who's the only person living on the East Coast is down in
Florida, a long way from NY or Washington. I don't generally watch the
news on TV in the morning as even on completely normal days, I don't
want to let that much "world" into my kitchen as the day begins. I'm
just not ready for a barrage of news at that time of day. I do listen
to the local classical music station on the radio, and I was doing so
as I puttered around in my kitchen making breakfast at about 8:15 A.M.
Pacific Time. There was music playing as I turned on the radio, and
while I recognized it was a somber piece--can't remember what it was,
now--I didn't think anything of it until I heard the announcer's voice
saying "The World Trade Center is Gone." ON the east coast, the
second tower had collapsed.

THAT made me look up and I thought something really stupid like "Gone?
Where did it GO??" I think I switched to a news station at that
point, and like everyone here, I was horrified by the news. At work, we
all wore black ribbons, kind of like the pink breast cancer ribbon, but
black, pinned to our clothes. I remember that day feeling very eerie
and ominous. Everyone was very very quiet. If I looked out the window,
I didn't see anything that wasn't completely normal, and yet I knew
nothing would be the same, again. I live near two airports, and I'm so
used to the sound of airplanes flying over that those two days when all
domestic flights were grounded were horribly quiet. That more than
anything else underlined what had happened. On Thursday the 13th,
when the planes began to fly again, the first one flying over head
sounded so loud, it might have been coming in for a landing on the
neighbor's roof. But I was so relieved to hear it! That fall, as news
of the anthrax attacks came, everything seemed very precarious, and
anything out of the ordinary seemed to have a sinister meaning.

ON the second anniversary of 9/11, I was in Italy on a painting trip,
and I heard some of my traveling companions talking about THEIR
experiences on 9/11. The group leader's husband (he's a retired naval
officer) was at work at the Pentagon, although luckily, he was at the
other side of the building when t he plane hit. He HEARD it, but didn't
realize what it was, thinking that somebody had just dropped something
really heavy, like a safe.. About twenty minutes later, people were
running by his office telling everyone to evacuate the building.

Another woman on that trip said her husband, very luckily was away from
his office when that plane hit, as his office was on the floor right
above. If he'd been in it, he'd have been killed. His office of course
was totally destroyed.

Melissa

Old September 12th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

Your story, as well as the poem, brought tears to my eyes.

When 9/11 happened, I was at work, in the warehouse - no TV, only radio. A
co-worker's father & stepmother (whom she is closer to than her own
manipulative, drug-abusing mother) *both* work at the Pentagon, She tried
for several hours to contact them. She finally got hold of her father, but
no word on her stepmother. His father was off work that day for Dr.s
appointments, Even *he* couldn't get hold of his wife. Finally, in the
afternoon, they found her.

This is what I remember of her story (somewhere I have the email, but can't
find it):

Sheila (her step-mother) went to work as usual. As some co-workers
would be gone later in the week, they held their usual Thursday meeting that
Tuesday. She was not in her office when the plane hit, which was in the
wing that was hit, but her purse was still there (at this point, she didn't
even know if her office still existed). She was not allowed to go back &
get it when they evacuated. Thus, she did not have her cell phone with her.
They were loaded onto busses and driven to another part of town. They were
off-loaded at a diner/cafe/restaurant. All the pay phones were in use - and
even if they weren't, she had no money with her as she didn't have her
purse. The cafe, upon hearing that the busloads of people that just arrived
were evacuees from the Pentagon, was giving free bottles of water (as many
as people wanted, plus I think they might have offered up meals too).
Finally, seeing her distress, a coworker offered up his cell phone for her
to use. She tried every # for her husband but they were either busy or the
system was so busy she couldn't get through. *Finally* she was able to get
him, by calling their neighbor's and they went to get him, but the cell
phone battery died before she could tell him where she was. At this point,
the same co-worker offered to share a cab with her, in order for her to get
home. She gratefully accepted, however, it was a few more hours before a
cab became available (I can imagine that).

It wasn't until they were allowed back in to claim personal possessions
that she was able to see what remained of her office. While her office was
not directly hit, and not on the outer 'ring', a large chunk of the landing
gear did punch a hole of about 2-3 feet wide in the outside wall, and
damaged a large portion of the office inside. I was sent a couple of
pictures of this, but like the email, I cannot find it . Had she not
been in the meeting (that was normally held on Thursdays), she might have
been seriously injured, if not killed!

However, some of her other co-workers were, and Sheila ended up in
therapy in order to deal with all that happened that day.

In ,
Matthew purred:
This is not political but since this is the 5 year remembrance for a
day the world we never forget I thought it appropriate to post a poem
that caught my attention

Sept. 11, 2001

Two Thousand One ~ Nine Eleven (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait

A bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"
They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
"I have a dream!" and once he did
The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
"We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear