[OT] New Carjacking Method

Old June 17th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] New Carjacking Method

Heads up everyone!

You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside.

You start the engine and shift into reverse, and when you look into the
rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of
paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into park,
unlock your doors and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever
it is) that is obstructing your view. When you reach the back of your car,
that is when the car jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and
take off. They practically mow you down as they speed off in your car. And
guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car, and if they see
your home address and have your keys, your home is now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED........

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away,
remove the paper later and be thankful that you read this e-mail. Think
about this. Are your children already in the car buckled up? I hope you will
forward this to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains
all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you
certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 17th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] New Carjacking Method -FALSE

That is an old one

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp

Old June 17th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] New Carjacking Method (FALSE!!!! URBAN LEGEND!)

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp

Origins: This alert has been kicked from inbox to inbox since
February 2004. we've now moved this alert squarely into the False
category.

Since February 2004 we have been watching the news most carefully. We
have yet to see evidence of so much as one. there is clearly no crime
wave, no flyer-armed menace lurking in the nation's parking
lots.

1) This is a decidedly "low-tech" scheme for stealing cars, so it's
certainly possible.

2) Our law enforcement contacts were unfamiliar with any cases of cars
being stolen in this manner. flyers on windshields and then hanging
around to wait for drivers to return to their vehicles involves
planning and exposure atypical of most carjackers.

But one aspect of this scheme sounds somewhat implausible: people who
have parked head-in are generally approaching their cars from the rear
when they return. So, a flyer posted on a rear window is quite likely
to be discovered and removed by the returning driver before he enters
his car.

Chief William Karabas of the Florissant Police Department wants to
make the public aware of an erroneous e-mail circulating in reference
to auto thefts, specifically 'car jacking ' incidents in the City of
Florissant.

"I want to put an end to this rumor. The City of Florissant has not
had any incidents of this nature!", said Chief Karabas. In fact, the
e-mail makes reference to many false claims. Chief Karabas stated,
"Some of the points include, referring to the Florissant Police
Department as a Sheriffs Department, which we are not, we DO NOT have
a Detective Bledsoe, there is NO State Trooper named Bartholome, there
is NO Missouri Neighborhood Watch Association, there is NO such
address (1456 Washington Ave) in Florissant and the telephone number
given on the e-mail is NOT IN SERVICE!"

Again, there is NO validity to this e-mail. It is FALSE.

We ask that people be informed and get the correct information. One
way to check e-mails for validity is to go on-line to check 'Urban

Old June 17th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew" wrote in message
. ..
That is an old one

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp

You beat me to it :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old June 17th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I didn't check Snopes simply because this is plausible and, I thought, a
good warning for us to be aware of how easily carjacking can be
accomplished - especially in light of the recent incident in Houston where
carjackers threw the children out of the car and then rolled over and killed
the two-year-old.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 17th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default New Carjacking Method

Personally, I recommend checking out your vehicle BEFORE you get into
it. Check the tires, the body, the windows, alignment of the mirrors,
etc. I have to do a walkaround of an airplane before I get in it, so
why not a car? I've caught a couple things that would have become
irritations at best and some that would have been real problems if I
drove around with them.

--Fil

Old June 17th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...
Personally, I recommend checking out your vehicle BEFORE you get into
it. Check the tires, the body, the windows, alignment of the mirrors,
etc. I have to do a walkaround of an airplane before I get in it, so
why not a car? I've caught a couple things that would have become
irritations at best and some that would have been real problems if I
drove around with them.

--Fil

Yes, that's good advice too. A little alertness may save your life.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 17th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat 17 Jun 2006 10:10:38a, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

I didn't check Snopes simply because this is plausible and, I
thought, a good warning for us to be aware of how easily
carjacking can be accomplished - especially in light of the
recent incident in Houston where carjackers threw the children
out of the car and then rolled over and killed the two-year-old.

That's horrible about the children.

It's always useful information when we remind each other and
ourselves about personal safety. The county I live in has had a
sky-rocketing number of carjacking cases lately, to the point that
they've warned to use an alternate set of keys when driving; the
set with your housekeys should be left on your person.

--
Cheryl
Old June 17th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Heads up everyone!

You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside.

You start the engine and shift into reverse, and when you look into
the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a
piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift
into park, unlock your doors and jump out of your car to remove that
paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view. When you
reach the back of your car, that is when the car jackers appear out
of nowhere, jump into your car and take off. They practically mow you

Old Snopes news, BUT... carjacking is entirely too real. Just yesterday in
Memphis there was a carjacking and while fleeing police they ran through an
intersection and killed a woman in a car they hit. Of course the carjackers
were taken to the hospital with "minimal injuries". Oh, how nice. The news
reported the guy was going to be charged with first degree murder for
killing the woman in commission of a crime.

Jill

Old June 17th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

I didn't check Snopes simply because this is plausible

.....But false!
(See http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp)

I have to agree that carjacking may be a very present
danger, especially for women driving alone. However, I
din't think it's wise to promulgate FALSE warnings on the
internet. (Remember the old story about the boy who cried
"Wolf!".)