New vaccination protocol link needed

Old April 12th 04, 12:20 AM
Cheryl

Default New vaccination protocol link needed

I know this has been posted many many times but does anyone have a good
link for the new vaccination protocol? I did a net search but I want an
article posted with good credentials to print and take the vet tomorrow.
Shamrock is due for vacs (only the FVRCP this time, FeLV vac is due in
Sept, and he's on 3 year rabies) and I want to discuss this with his vet.
TIA.

--
Cheryl
Old April 12th 04, 12:55 AM
Cheryl

olitter (PawsForThought) dumped this in
on 11 Apr 2004:

www.catshots.com?

Link didn't work Lauren. I'm a-huntin' for valid reports and was hoping
someone reading would remember one that is credent. Unfortunately he
needs another depo shot. If there was any doubt about his lesions, on the
back of one leg it is a straight line indicating linear granuloma unlike
the lesions on his back (also flaring up right now) which are just random
helter skelter in a 3"x3" patch. Poor lil guy. He was bleeding from them
yesterday.

--
Cheryl

Old April 12th 04, 01:16 AM
Cheryl

Laura R. dumped this in
on 11 Apr 2004:

circa Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:20:14 -0500, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Cheryl ) said,
I know this has been posted many many times but does anyone have a
good link for the new vaccination protocol? I did a net search but I
want an article posted with good credentials to print and take the
vet tomorrow. Shamrock is due for vacs (only the FVRCP this time,
FeLV vac is due in Sept, and he's on 3 year rabies) and I want to
discuss this with his vet. TIA.

P.S. The AAFP link I posted is the most comprehensive and is chock-
full of good credentials. :-)

Laura

Thanks Laura. I'm printing the relavent parts of the AAFP article. The vin
one came up in my search but it didn't really quote many studies which is
what I was after. There is no worry about strange cats until Shadow is
gone, but there is the outdoor enclosure and I know panleuk can live
outside of a host for months and Shamrock's immune system seems wacked with
his allergy problems. Chances are he'll get the shots tomorrow (they sent
me a postcard in the mail so I know they don't subscribe to the "new"
studies) but I want to discuss the protocol for the future. Bonnie only had
one series last year so she'll have to get more in May; Shadow is not
getting any more shots ever (note is made on his chart by his vet for
that).

--
Cheryl

Old April 12th 04, 12:53 PM
PawsForThought

From: Cheryl

www.catshots.com?

Link didn't work Lauren. I'm a-huntin' for valid reports and was hoping
someone reading would remember one that is credent.

What specifically are you looking for? Just the protocol? I have tons of
vaccine links but I think this is the protocol one:

http://www.critterfixer.com/pages/v1..._protocols.asp

http://advance8.tripod.com/share/id14.html

Unfortunately he
needs another depo shot. If there was any doubt about his lesions, on the
back of one leg it is a straight line indicating linear granuloma unlike
the lesions on his back (also flaring up right now) which are just random
helter skelter in a 3"x3" patch. Poor lil guy. He was bleeding from them
yesterday.

Aww, poor Shamrock So sorry to hear this, Cheryl. Personally, I don't
think he should be vaccinated at all, as it clearly states on the vaccine
package insert to be given to healthy animals only. He is indoors only, right?
The vet should be able to write you an exemption letter for the rabies if your
city requires it.

Lauren

________
Old April 12th 04, 12:53 PM
PawsForThought

Old April 12th 04, 08:17 PM
Alison in OH

Cheryl wrote:

Link didn't work Lauren. I'm a-huntin' for valid reports and was hoping
someone reading would remember one that is credent. Unfortunately he
needs another depo shot. If there was any doubt about his lesions, on the
back of one leg it is a straight line indicating linear granuloma unlike
the lesions on his back (also flaring up right now) which are just random
helter skelter in a 3"x3" patch. Poor lil guy. He was bleeding from them
yesterday.

You have a cat with an immune-mediated disease that you're treating by
knocking down the immune system and you're not sure whether to inject
him for the second time in 12 months with an antigen intended to
stimulate his immune system into behaving as though he has an infection?

Um.

Try doing a PubMed search
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi) on "cat vaccination
duration immunity". There's no reason to re-vaccinate *any* cat with the
distemper combo after only one year, yet alone an immune-compromised or
otherwise unwell animal.

And your vet should know that.

Sigh. Grumble.

-Alison in OH