New vaccination protocol link needed

Old April 12th 04, 08:17 PM
Alison in OH

Cheryl wrote:

Link didn't work Lauren. I'm a-huntin' for valid reports and was hoping
someone reading would remember one that is credent. Unfortunately he
needs another depo shot. If there was any doubt about his lesions, on the
back of one leg it is a straight line indicating linear granuloma unlike
the lesions on his back (also flaring up right now) which are just random
helter skelter in a 3"x3" patch. Poor lil guy. He was bleeding from them
yesterday.

You have a cat with an immune-mediated disease that you're treating by
knocking down the immune system and you're not sure whether to inject
him for the second time in 12 months with an antigen intended to
stimulate his immune system into behaving as though he has an infection?

Um.

Try doing a PubMed search
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi) on "cat vaccination
duration immunity". There's no reason to re-vaccinate *any* cat with the
distemper combo after only one year, yet alone an immune-compromised or
otherwise unwell animal.

And your vet should know that.

Sigh. Grumble.

-Alison in OH
Old April 12th 04, 09:21 PM
Cheryl

Alison in OH dumped this in news:c5epud$8eg$1
@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu on 12 Apr 2004:

Try doing a PubMed search
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi) on "cat vaccination
duration immunity". There's no reason to re-vaccinate *any* cat with the
distemper combo after only one year, yet alone an immune-compromised or
otherwise unwell animal.

And your vet should know that.

Thanks Alison. I know he shouldn't be vaccinated; I want to go to his appt
armed with facts. I asked similar questions back when he had the FLV
booster and needed a steroid shot then, too. This link helps.

--
Cheryl

Old April 13th 04, 01:59 AM
Paulette

Cheryl, the April issue of Ca****ch cites an AVMA study that says
panleukopenia, calcivirus, and herpesvirus vaccinatios last at least 48
months. Last year y vet said there is strong belief the distemper
vaccine gives lifetime immunit. I'd listen to Allison, as wel as
following your gut feeling. He's your cat, your responsibility, and you
don't need excuses for refusing a particular treatment or vaccinatin.
As we know, all vets don't keep up with the latest. I know it's not
always easy to stand up to a professional...I've done it to my own
doctor, and we have an understanding. Good luck!
Paulette

Old April 13th 04, 02:16 PM
Alison in OH

Cheryl wrote:

We agreed upon vaccinations every other year (for now). She is a believer
in building immunity to these illnesses in young healthy cats, and
obviously Shamrock doesn't fit that description. So he got off today
without the FVRCP. He'll still have to continue getting yearly FLV boosters
for as long as Shadow is alive, unless they can determine yearly is
overkill. From what I've read so far, they haven't reached any conclusions
for FLV yet.

Well, except for the whole "age-related immunity is a heck of a lot more
effective than the vaccine" thing.

-Alison in OH

Old April 13th 04, 09:00 PM
PawsForThought

Cheryl wrote:

We agreed upon vaccinations every other year (for now). She is a believer
in building immunity to these illnesses in young healthy cats, and
obviously Shamrock doesn't fit that description. So he got off today
without the FVRCP. He'll still have to continue getting yearly FLV boosters

for as long as Shadow is alive, unless they can determine yearly is
overkill. From what I've read so far, they haven't reached any conclusions
for FLV yet.

So is there any proof that yearly boostering is even effective?
________