New vaccination protocol link needed

Old April 13th 04, 09:00 PM
PawsForThought

Cheryl wrote:

We agreed upon vaccinations every other year (for now). She is a believer
in building immunity to these illnesses in young healthy cats, and
obviously Shamrock doesn't fit that description. So he got off today
without the FVRCP. He'll still have to continue getting yearly FLV boosters

for as long as Shadow is alive, unless they can determine yearly is
overkill. From what I've read so far, they haven't reached any conclusions
for FLV yet.

So is there any proof that yearly boostering is even effective?
________
Old April 13th 04, 11:13 PM
Cheryl

Alison in OH dumped this in
on 13 Apr 2004:

We agreed upon vaccinations every other year (for now). She is a
believer in building immunity to these illnesses in young healthy
cats, and obviously Shamrock doesn't fit that description. So he got
off today without the FVRCP. He'll still have to continue getting
yearly FLV boosters for as long as Shadow is alive, unless they can
determine yearly is overkill. From what I've read so far, they
haven't reached any conclusions for FLV yet.

Well, except for the whole "age-related immunity is a heck of a lot
more effective than the vaccine" thing.

True, but I guess non of this stuff is really proven yet. Yes, I've read
the studies, and I am afraid of the VAS. I just don't really know what to
do and I suspect most people are this way and just trust in their vet. It
never hurts to keep this type of communication open, though, because if I
didn't read here and read links you guys suggest, he would have been
vaccinated yesterday rather than discuss an every-other-year plan and
then revisit it next year.

--
Cheryl

Old April 14th 04, 01:33 PM
PawsForThought

From: Cheryl

(PawsForThought) dumped this in
on 13 Apr 2004:

for as long as Shadow is alive, unless they can determine yearly is
overkill. From what I've read so far, they haven't reached any
conclusions for FLV yet.

So is there any proof that yearly boostering is even effective?

I do not know. This new vet said that testing Shamrock (and now Bonnie)
before each booster is a waste because the booster is supposed to prevent
it so apparently she believes it is "good enough" protection, or else you
reserve testing for when/if other symptoms pop up. I still asked to have
him retested before last summers shot. As for my thinking, I'm counting on
it protecting them, plus make sure they have a good diet and try to
eliminate other risks by being a clean-freak with the litter boxes and
food/water dishes, but Shamrock already having immune system problems
worries me. One of the techs at the IM office where all this happened said
she has 1 pos and 2 neg cats and as of 4 (? I believe?) years the 2
remained negative so she must have them tested at certain intervals.

Does Shadow go outside? It's my understanding that in order to get FelV, the
cat has to be bitten by a positive cat. Is that right?

Also, Ronald Shultz, DVM, and well known for his expertise with immunology,
said vaccines probably provide lifetime immunity. I'll try to find the article
I read by him. It was very interesting.
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old April 14th 04, 01:33 PM
PawsForThought

Old April 14th 04, 03:51 PM
Alison in OH

Cheryl wrote:
Alison in OH dumped this in
on 13 Apr 2004:

[...]

I'm a big fan of having a good relationship with your vet and I by no
means want to drive a wedge between you. But I hope you feel that your
discussions with your vet have a decent amount of give-and-take and
don't conclude with her running roughshod over you and your input.
You and your vet are supposed to be partners for your pet's health --
and both of you have equal responsibility.

-Alison in OH