KFC's visit to TED tonight.

Old January 21st 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Default KFC's visit to TED tonight.

MaryL kirjoitti:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
Neither myself nor the vet are happy with her progress, she has not
improved at all since her TED visit last Monday. She is streaming
with green gunk now, worse than last week and will not eat.
There is only one long acting injectible antibiotic she can have and
she's had it, and although it worked before twice it it not working
now. We discussed a change of antibiotic but there is nothing that
can be injected long term. He asked me if it was possible to give her
tablets. I wanted to fall around laughing but hid the urge and just
said no. I enquired whether a liquid antibiotic was available and he
said it was so we have come home with this in the hope that KFC will
allow me to squirt it into her mouth tomorrow morning twice a day for
10 days.

Tweed

Are pill pockets available in your area? If so, they might be worth
trying. They are soft, pliable treats. Tablets are inserted, and the
pill pocket pinched is around the tablet. They come in two or three
different flavors, and one might appeal to KFC. (I do realize that
there is a great likelihood that this will not work because KFC is
having difficulty smelling food, but I thought it would be worth an
attempt.) Here's what I am trying to describe:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=18943

MaryL

I seem to remember that pill pockets aren't available in the UK, at
least according to their website when I checked it just a while back
when Adrian would have needed them.
Also, as KFC is already not eating a "treat-like" food like roast
chicken, which is all she's eaten for quite a while, I don't quite see
her going for this kind of treats either... but you never know, of course...
Purrs for KFC from Laku too!!

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old January 21st 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 20, 3:22*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Neither myself nor the vet are happy with her progress, she has not improved
at all since her TED visit last Monday. *She is streaming with green gunk
now, worse than last week and will not eat.
There is only one long acting injectible antibiotic she can have and she's
had it, and although it worked before twice it it not working now. *We
discussed a change of antibiotic but there is nothing that can be injected
long term. *He asked me if it was possible to give her tablets. I wanted to
fall around laughing but hid the urge and just said no. *I enquired whether
a liquid antibiotic was available and he said it was so we have come home
with this in the hope that KFC will allow me to squirt it into her mouth
tomorrow morning twice a day for 10 days.

Tweed

Christina, I am so sorry that Kitty FC hasn't improved. I will be
keeping her in my thoughts.
Our experience with liquid meds has been a little more successful than
tablets; but it's
hard to keep them from spewing it out everywhere; and if they do, you
can't be sure how
much they actually swallowed. Plus, I was always afraid I would cause
Boots to inhale
some of it into her lungs (although this never was a problem). Like
pilling, the first
few doses are the easiest, then kitty catches on to what's coming,
learns new ways to
avoid swallowing. I wish you had someone to help; it is especially
difficult without
an extra pair of hands helping.
Sincerely wishing *good luck* with administering the antibiotic, and
*good health* for KFC.
Keep us posted.

Sherry
Old January 21st 09, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AlisonT

As slave of a impossible to pill cat (I have the bite to prove it and
so does the vet) I found leather garden gloves to be most helpful. It
sounds terrible but I find I'm much quicker and more precise when I
don't have to worry about getting bitten. I think it's actually
easier on Tigger too since it isn't so much of a battle.
Old January 21st 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
Neither myself nor the vet are happy with her progress, she has not
improved at all since her TED visit last Monday. She is streaming
with green gunk now, worse than last week and will not eat.
There is only one long acting injectible antibiotic she can have and
she's had it, and although it worked before twice it it not working
now. We discussed a change of antibiotic but there is nothing that
can be injected long term. He asked me if it was possible to give
her tablets. I wanted to fall around laughing but hid the urge and
just said no. I enquired whether a liquid antibiotic was available
and he said it was so we have come home with this in the hope that
KFC will allow me to squirt it into her mouth tomorrow morning twice
a day for 10 days.
Tweed

Good luck! Continuing purrs for KFC to get over her infection and
enjoy at least one more *proper* summer.

We didn't have any sort of summer that she could enjoy last year. I
wanted it to be hot for her so she would go outside and sleep in the
flower beds in the sun. Didn't happen.

Tweed

That's why I said a *proper* summer.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old January 21st 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote
| "Adrian" wrote
| Good luck! Continuing purrs for KFC to get over her infection and enjoy
at
| least one more *proper* summer.
|
| We didn't have any sort of summer that she could enjoy last year. I
wanted
| it to be hot for her so she would go outside and sleep in the flower beds
in
| the sun. Didn't happen.

It's that "global warming" don't ya know!

Old January 21st 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jan 20, 9:22*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Neither myself nor the vet are happy with her progress, she has not improved
at all since her TED visit last Monday. *She is streaming with green gunk
now, worse than last week and will not eat.///

We are sending many purrs and prayers for her. I don't know if you
have tried this or whether it is possible, but try a steam inhalation
with her. When I had kittens half dead with cat flu and nothing was
working, I filled a bowl of hot steaming water, placed it by them and
then made a tent over them and the bowl with a towl for 20 minutes. It
loosened the goo & sticky blocked noses/chest just enough that I could
wipe it away and they could just about pick up on some really smelly
kentucky fried chicken that I fed by hand.

Massive purrs en-route.

Helen M
Old January 21st 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 4:22 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Neither myself nor the vet are happy with her progress, she has not
improved
. I enquired whether
a liquid antibiotic was available and he said it was so we have come home
with this in the hope that KFC will allow me to squirt it into her mouth
tomorrow morning twice a day for 10 days.

I hope she does. My household is purring for her recovery. Since it
would ruin her reputation for people to know she allowed that, don't
tell us that she did. Just report progress that results.

---------
Let's just say her reputation is not ruined. I was late for work. More to
follow.

Tweed

Old January 21st 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:22:30 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Neither myself nor the vet are happy with her progress, she has not
improved
at all since her TED visit last Monday. She is streaming with green gunk
now, worse than last week and will not eat.
There is only one long acting injectible antibiotic she can have and she's
had it, and although it worked before twice it it not working now. We
discussed a change of antibiotic but there is nothing that can be injected
long term. He asked me if it was possible to give her tablets. I wanted
fall around laughing but hid the urge and just said no. I enquired
whether
a liquid antibiotic was available and he said it was so we have come home
with this in the hope that KFC will allow me to squirt it into her mouth
tomorrow morning twice a day for 10 days.

purrs coming that the new medicine works - and that KFC will take the
stuff without requiring you to get a transfusion.

I'm lucky here that all my girls are still fairly young (LB is the
oldest at an estimated 8 1/2 to 9yo) and healthy for the most part, so
I haven't had to give much medication. Sammy is the exception, with
her heart murmur, and she required meds for a while when first
diagnosed, but nothing for the past couple years.

Anyway, the previous paragraph is just to say that lots of folks have
more practical experience than I do - including you, what with your
dogs and KFC herself, so I don't have much to offer in the way of
advice. The only thing I thought of was to mention a "kitty burrito"
my TED uses, where you wrap the cat in a towel so it can't struggle
too much.

anyway, like I said, not much advice, but will be sending purrs that
KFC takes the med and fights off this latest bug and starts eating
again soon.

Thanks for the advice and the purrs. I did indeed have to resort to the
"kitty burrito."

Tweed

Old January 21st 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sherry" wrote in message

[...]

-------------
I think the vet has allowed for the spew and lose element as he's prescribed
her a dose sufficient for a 4 kg cat and she weighs less than 2.
I am girding my loins as we speak - she needs her second dose in an hour..

Tweed

Old January 21st 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

"Sherry" wrote in message

[...]

Thinking of you, Christina and sending lots of purrs for KFC and you. I
don't know if you're using an eyedropper to give KFC her meds but if so, you
might find it easier to use a syringe...
Christine